LR Bullets for 378 wtb

Martin@Hin

Hello all.
I read about powerful guns to be used for LR shooting.
I have a 378 Wtb. The previous owner gave it to me with 19 cartridges and 1 empty casing.😯
I fired it and its nasty.
I am not sure if it has LR capabilities but my question is if so what would be a able bullets and powder selection for this rifle?
Considering large temp. fluxtions up here.
Thanks Martin

Kinda depends on what you consider long range. The 300 grain Accubond would be pretty good out to 600-700 yards and loading data is pretty easy to come across. H1000 or H4831 should work for that. Heavier bullets are mostly going to be of the monolithic variety but you do have the 350 SMK and the new 390 A-tip. For many years the 350 SMK was about the only expanding bullet available heavier than 300 grains in .375". Somebody must have tried it in the 378 so I bet you can find data online by searching. When the 375 Cheytac became popular a bunch of companies started making long range monolithic bullets, such as Cutting Edge, Hammer, and others. You can probably get to 900+ yards with the SMK or a mono and still have 2000 fps impact velocity. For the heavier bullets I'd still consider H1000 but also slower powders such as 8133 or N570.

Keep in mind the heavier bullets will recoil significantly more. Something like the Cutting Edge MTH 300 grain is probably your best bet if you don't mind spending $2 per bullet. Or if you don't plan on shooting past 600 yards very often the Accubonds would be worth a try. I haven't tried them in .375 but they shoot great out of my 338-378.

El Mat.
Thanks for the repl.
The Wtb. weights about 9.5 lbs and recoil is nastier than my 500 AS
I have both Hodgon powders,loaded some shells with 300 Sierra's. they did ok
Didn't do any real load development with them.
Don't really want to put a brake on it I dont think it would look nice.
I was hoping that there would be a lighter , long, with a reasonable BC bullet out there.
Wondering if people that shoot 375,s at LR use heavy rifles and or brakes.
How about a lighter Barnes bullets?
And yes what is considered LR for these calibers?
In the end one can't have it both ways hey🤔
Thanks Martin

The 378 Performs best with bullets ranging from 270 grains to 325 grains. Recoil with the 270 grain bullets will reduce recoil, but you will have to use something like a Swift A Frame for toughness at the velocity achieved, Bonded core bullets are also good.

The 300 grain bullets are probably the most common used and offer Good total performance. I would also recommend the A Frame of bonded core bullets like the Accubond for 300 grain bullets.

The 325's are a beast in a un braked rifle and not for the faint of heart. But they hit like a freight train.

J E CUSTOM

Wondering if people that shoot 375,s at LR use heavy rifles and or brakes.
How about a lighter Barnes bullets?
And yes what is considered LR for these calibers?
I load for my buddy's 375 Cheytac. It weighs 24 lbs and has a muzzle brake the size of a Red Bull can.
The 375 caliber is not very popular for hunting at long range because you really need a heavy gun to manage the recoil of high-BC bullets. 338s are more common since a 300 grain bullet has a really good BC and can reasonably be fired at high velocity from a 10-15 lb gun. Most 375s used for hunting are for dangerous game or for big game at short to medium range. Without a muzzle brake I'd be looking at 250-270 grain bullets and limit my range to whatever my ballistic chart says. The Barnes 250 grain TTSX, 260 grain Accubond, or the 248 grain Hammer Hunter would all work pretty well out to 600+ yards. It depends on how fast you push them, what velocity you want at impact, and how well you can put a shot on target.

Thank you gentlemen for our repl.
I can certainly see why the gun came with 19 loaded cartridges and one empty casing lol.
However it's to nice of a rifle to not shoot it.
Since I have to admit that after years of handling my big guns just fine,I installed a brake on my 338 Sendero.
I found some 270 gr Barnes and some 270gr interlock Hornady,s
Maybe I can find some accubonds.
375 bullets are hard to find in my neck of the woods.
I'll use the Hornady,s for plinking.
See what can be done with the Barnes and if the gun still gives me a headache after 10rnds it will be shooting heavy heat treated cast bullets.
Thank you all Martin

Hi, has anybody here shot some 350 Sierra through a factory 378 wtb ? Are they stabilised enough and accurate enough?

I get 3/4" groups with my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H mag, also in my Rifles, Inc gun, same caliber. 3-shot groups, since I user these for hunting and I value my shoulder too much to shoot these rifles a lot. They last longer also. I use 300 gr Cutting Edge, 300 gr. Sierra HPBT, Win 760 powder. Two moose, three elk so far.

Well I looked at Cutting edge bullets they have some heavy for cal. bullets but finding them up here in Alberta would be a challenge besides they would be 30% exchange plus shipping ........ However the heavy bullets maybe a option .
I was just reading my favorite heavy guns reloading man.
A-Square any shot you want By Arthur B Alphin.
In there there is mention of long barrel's and heavy bullets lengthening recoil time.?
I sorta noticed this effect in my 500AS is a rifle built on a 602 Bruno it has a 26" Pac Nore with a long parallel throat so it shoots 600gr Barnes as well as 750 Hornady,s.
The 750,s seem certainly not to generate more recoil???
Still gives me a headache.
Lol

I have shot some SMK 350 grain bullets through a factory Mark V Deluxe. Going from memory they shot @3/4" at 100 yards. Going to try them at longer ranges at some point. Of course the rounds are so long they have to be loaded one at a time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.