LR-260 accuracy and performance

kiltednerd

I was dead set on getting a Pro hunter 25-06 for a long range hunting rifle

the I saw that DPMS has a 24" stainless heavy barrel 260 Remington.

Out to 300 yards, from what I have seen, they seem similar.

My biggest worry is:

1. Are they really as similar as it looks (flat shooting to 300)

2. How accurate will the DPMS be?

I dont compete, just hunt, but I know the more accurate the rifle, the better. I also know that a single shot would have to be more accurate but how much more....

any ideas would be appreciated....

The Encore won't necessarily shoot better, they can be finicky about forend pressure. I can't speak to the 260 in the DPMS but I have a DPMS bull barrel .223 that is an excellent shooter. The AR will definitely be heavy but not unmanageable and would offer the advantage of quick follow up shots.
Difference in trajectory and energy are negligible at 300 yards. Either configuration will do fine at 300 yards. You might do some shooting with an Encore and an AR and see how you like each.

My LR260 will shoot 5 shots at around 1 1/4" at 200 yards most of the time. It is a 1 in 7.5 twist so it is designed for the heavier bullets, but it still shoots the 120 gr bullets well. The stock trigger, unless you find one with the JP trigger, is crap. A good aftermarket trigger is a must. Real handy rifle if you need a quick second shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.