Lowest magnification for 1000 yards??

I agree that 10X is the minimum for 1000 yards shooting. I have used and currently own the Zeiss HD5 in Z reticles (Z1000, and Z800). Its nice glass and hunter oriented, however, to use the holdovers past 600 yards its too risky for hunting. Hence, I purchased the Sig Sauer Tango6 in 3-18x44 with a standard reticle. Now I use the exposed elevation turrets for those LR shots, past 600 yards.

I have owned or do own all of the scopes being mentioned here and I see things a little different - pun intended. Number one is the only NF scope that is even in the same category with a Swarovski is the Comp 15-55 with the ED glass. The rest just have very good Japanese glass. Also, Zeiss HD glass is also very good but you have to get into the higher end models like the Victory to really see Zeiss quality. The HD glass is more than good enough for LRH IMO.

As far as my opinion on the OPs question for a 1000 yards I would have to say I am on the 10X bandwagon also. I like all of the magnification I can get for load work up and then never use it after that and for this reason I use a 36X target scope for most of my load work up now and then change the scope out once I go out to true drops and shoot LR and usually use no more than 18X.
That isn't accurate, IOR Valdada uses Schott Glass from Germany just like the other high end European scope makers.

There's definitely nothing wrong with high end Japanese glass either for a hunting optic.

Well a lot of top lines of scopes use schott. Not all products lines are glassed with the same distributors, especially the cheaper line scopes. But that's awesome, not a lot of people talk about that on here!

That isn't accurate, IOR Valdada uses Schott Glass from Germany just like the other high end European scope makers.

There's definitely nothing wrong with high end Japanese glass either for a hunting optic.

Was talking NF and Bushnell. The post I quoted only mentioned Bushnell Swarovski and NF.

And The Japanese glass reference was not meant as a negative comment. Optics manufacturers order their glass to their own specs and Japanese manufacturers do a great job with this.

Was talking NF and Bushnell. The post I quoted only mentioned Bushnell Swarovski and NF.

And The Japanese glass reference was not meant as a negative comment. Optics manufacturers order their glass to their own specs and Japanese manufacturers do a great job with this.
Not an argument, just clarifying. A lot of people really don't understand where the glass comes from or where to look for quality. No matter where a scope is "made" the glass probably came from somewhere else.

You can do it with iron sights but don't kid yourself get something with 18-25 upper power range and enjoy yourself while shooting it. I shoot at a 1000 yds regularly and would not consider buying a scope under 18 power with todays scope manufacturing capabilities. With a good variable power scope if the mariage is beating you up you can turn down the power to suit the situation. magnification is your friend with good glass.

You can do it with iron sights but don't kid yourself get something with 18-25 upper power range and enjoy yourself while shooting it. I shoot at a 1000 yds regularly and would not consider buying a scope under 18 power with todays scope manufacturing capabilities. With a good variable power scope if the mariage is beating you up you can turn down the power to suit the situation. magnification is your friend with good glass.
Now I'm not saying magnification is bad, but...
How do you figure it's always your friend?

All depends on what your target is. If your shooting at an elk at 1K you can use 10x and be fine. If your trying to shoot a coues deer at 1K your going to have a hard time even seeing if with 10X, at least I do. That's why I prefer something up adjustable from up to at 18x. VX6 3-18 is about the perfect hunting scope IMO. I nice to have the xtra power and you can crank it down when you don't need it

I agree with the 10x as a minimum for 1,000 yards, also. I use a standard, straight 10 power just to stay in practice for 'just in case'. There will be compromises for any decision made which has to encompass such a wide range of activities. No one scope will accommodate your needs perfectly and the scabbard could be a problem for anything like this.

But given the choice for a reasonably compact long range scope for both hunting and longer range steel, I have switched to these. Actually, I use the RZ1000 in the Zeiss but the 800 would suit you better I think.

Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25X50 - RZ800
Swarovski Optik Z6 5-30X50 BRH Riflescope

Yes, the Swarovski is expensive but you will not find better glass and a more compact design which will work under both sets of circumstances that you ask for. Swarovski has put their absolute best foot forward in order to maintain the highest standards for scopes released into the U.S. Read the reviews.

Regards.
Yikes - now after buying a Vortex Diamondback in a 40 - 4x12 - on sale - w/ rings for $149 - to go on a Tikka 3x lite in 6.5 Creed - on sale for $529 - you have me thinking about the best glass - no Q - for what - some 4? times as much as my new outfit ? :) My wife better not read this !!!!

Yikes - now after buying a Vortex Diamondback in a 40 - 4x12 - on sale - w/ rings for $149 - to go on a Tikka 3x lite in 6.5 Creed - on sale for $529 - you have me thinking about the best glass - no Q - for what - some 4? times as much as my new outfit ? :) My wife better not read this !!!!

I understand.

When you examine all of the parts and pieces we need to assemble a quality rifle ready to shoot, you realize that there is an obvious range of costs and quality. Most of the time, the best of each category is or are the most expensive. There are exceptions, those products which have chosen to be the most expensive to make a statement but often lack the quality to back up that level.

But not all of us have the disposable income to afford the top of every category. And some of us have a spouse who doesn't agree with our assessment of 'need'! So be it. But I will tell you from lots of personal experience, once you've looked through the best glass, very few other brands will meet that experience.

Best of luck with your search!;)

Field of view is just as important as magnification. I was shooting last night at 660 yards with a 300 win mag shooting 215 Berger's and was able to see every impact very easy (important especially if your hunting solo). This is because I was shooting at 8x which was more than enough with my Leupold scope.

Thanks Sable. I guess my Q is - assuming I do not have to buy equal cost hobby gifts for my wife - :) - IF I get fired up (hey - I wuz on the frosh rifle team at the AF Academy what - 55? YEARS AGO) - AND DECIDE TO GO FOR THE BEST LONG RANGE PLINKING GEAR - IS THERE A SHOOTING CLASS FOR 75 YEAR OLD ROOKIES? :) Agg - **** caps button.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.