LOWEST 30 MM SCOPE SET UP

You are going to have a hard time getting it much lower if you insist on running a rail. The Seekins low rings are the lowest I have seen at a little over .8", the limiting factor is that you have to account for the thickness of the rail and the rings together (there is a limitation since you have a cross bolt/recoil lug), and since you have a long action, you also have to contend with how far the rail sticks out past the action on the front potentially creating clearance issues with the rear of the objective bell.

If "as low as possible" is what you are after, then I'd suggest ditching the rail and getting a different mount style. I ran a Talley 1pc ring/base in low configuration on a heavy barreled Rem700 and there was just enough of a gap to get a couple business cards at the closest point of the objective bell to the barrel with a 50MM objective Vortex PST. I couldn't run lens caps with that setup, but with a 44mm it would have been perfect. If you absolutely "need" 20MOA elevation, I think Hawkins makes similar mount for some action types with 20MOA built in.

Here's a fun fact though, most decent scopes dont need a 20MOA rail to get out even as far as 1000yds with most popular fullsize rifle rounds unless you are running low BC bullets or slower velocities. I'm not sure what the obsession is with running them on rifles that see most shots inside of that range. Heck, my old 19.5" 308 only needed a little over 10mils of elevation to get to 1000yds with a 175gr Fed GMM (2515fps MV) thats not even a full revolution of the turret on a lot of nicer scopes. The 20MOA rail I had on that gun was completely unnecessary.

Since you don't need the rail elevation you may want to look at DNZ since they make a LOW one-piece mount and rings for the Remington 700. Their hardware is very strong. They even use a larger thread size than Talley and most others, so they are really strong. These are on a Tikka, but you can see from the photo that DNZ's are not ugly.
C9BRr5el.jpg

Thanks for all the input, I will look at ditching the rail and looking at the Hawkins or Talley type rings

Let us know if you have any questions. These are our Low Ultra Light Tacticals with a MK5 HD. There are some lower rings on the market and I believe you'll have some gap with direct mount the Long Range Hybrids.

Attachments

• 95050303_236102944136387_8823222767248736256_n.jpg
    95050303_236102944136387_8823222767248736256_n.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 91
The lowest I could get on a 700 LA and have the 20 moa was the NightForce unitized low one piece mount. It's perfect for a 56 mm scope. Excellent mount.

Talley or DNZ as mentioned are the best way to get a low scope mount.

There's an operation out of Canada that will make you a custom mount similar to the NF unitized at your specified height. Their name escapes me, but their stuff looks very nice.

Thanks for all the input, I will look at ditching the rail and looking at the Hawkins or Talley type rings

"IF" you need the 20 MOA cant, don't give up that easily. As I said, check out https://warnescopemounts.com/product/213-30mm-fixed-low-rings/ and there are others too, you just need to decipher exactly what you need. How is your cheek weld the way it is currently set-up? If it is OK, I'd leave it as-is and have fun with it.

You can also go the Burris XTR sig rings (https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings) and you can get up to 40 MOA of cant.

I am going to be getting the shortest leupold backcountry mount for my 700 sa with a 50mm bell. Should have a little gap with the sporter barrel but hopefully it will get me to a better cheek weld

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.