Lowering "RECOIL" for hunting & Shooting

Debo

I'm new to the forms, I posted in the Long range rifles to get some advice, and got lots of great opinions. Diriel said I should check in here to see if any of you Gunsmiths can help me now that I know what cal I need to get. I'm kinda down to 2 guns now but need to see which one will will be the best for me and at what cost. Also, What would the price be for either one completed, and which will be the lowest recoiling and what would the difference be between them in recoil vs cost difference... I need it "Very-accurate" at 800Yards... I'm looking at the Savage-Long-Range Hunter in 300WM or the Savage 110BA in 300WM. I have been told that the 110BA has the recoil of just under a 243. (But I don't know what that feels like as I never shot a 243. before.) So, What I need to know is, as I have very bad shoulders, How low of recoil can we get these guns without spending a Bazillion dollars... I'm Handicapped and on very low income.. I only have around $2,000. to spend on the gun as the scope is about another $1,000 or more. (Burris-Eliminator 3) I can get the 110BA for around $1800. and it comes with a 35% muzzle Brake, or the L.R.Hunter for around $780. Don't think that has M.Brake on it. So, maybe one of you can get them for less? And then figure out how to get the recoil very low and mount the scope and fit it to me? Any help would be very much appreciated!!gun)gun)gun)gun)

I'm new to the forms, I posted in the Long range rifles to get some advice, and got lots of great opinions. Diriel said I should check in here to see if any of you Gunsmiths can help me now that I know what cal I need to get. I'm kinda down to 2 guns now but need to see which one will will be the best for me and at what cost. Also, What would the price be for either one completed, and which will be the lowest recoiling and what would the difference be between them in recoil vs cost difference... I need it "Very-accurate" at 800Yards... I'm looking at the Savage-Long-Range Hunter in 300WM or the Savage 110BA in 300WM. I have been told that the 110BA has the recoil of just under a 243. (But I don't know what that feels like as I never shot a 243. before.) So, What I need to know is, as I have very bad shoulders, How low of recoil can we get these guns without spending a Bazillion dollars... I'm Handicapped and on very low income.. I only have around $2,000. to spend on the gun as the scope is about another $1,000 or more. (Burris-Eliminator 3) I can get the 110BA for around $1800. and it comes with a 35% muzzle Brake, or the L.R.Hunter for around $780. Don't think that has M.Brake on it. So, maybe one of you can get them for less? And then figure out how to get the recoil very low and mount the scope and fit it to me? Any help would be very much appreciated!!gun)gun)gun)gun)
Put a good side discharge brake on it like many of our sponsors make and you can eliminate half or more of the felt recoil.

Go with the heaviest platform you can carry and that reduces felt recoil dramatically as well.

Add Mercury recoil reducer and Limbsaver Recoil Pad and you reduce it even further.

Do all of the above and you wont' have a problem.

So, what base model do you recommend I should get that will be the most accurate out of the box at lets say 800Yards in the 300WM? Rem-700?,Savage L.R.HUNTER? SAVAGE 110BA? Something else? Keep in mind I can only spend around $2000. on the gun completed with all the recoil reducing stuff you mentioned in your post. (+/-100.00) So I can't afford those $7-12,000.00 guns... And which would give me the best all around Quality, dependability,and performance under $2,000.00?

So, what base model do you recommend I should get that will be the most accurate out of the box at lets say 800Yards in the 300WM? Rem-700?,Savage L.R.HUNTER? SAVAGE 110BA? Something else? Keep in mind I can only spend around $2000. on the gun completed with all the recoil reducing stuff you mentioned in your post. (+/-100.00) So I can't afford those $7-12,000.00 guns... And which would give me the best all around Quality, dependability,and performance under $2,000.00?
Sendero 300wm would be my choice unless you can find an old Winchester Sharpshooter in 300wm. I have seen a couple of them on Gun Broker lately.

Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

They are a rarity though so they don't come cheap.

I'm just not a Savage fan myself but many others love them.

With the right stock the recoil of the 300wm in a heavy barreled platform like the Sendero is extremely tolerable especially with the 165-190 class bullets.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker and our Classifieds section as there are some very decent deals that come up on Senderos with some frequency.

Thanks, I still need to find someone around here with a 300WM with a M--Brake and good recoil pad to try it before I spend the money on something I may not be able to shoot. I see the Sendero II But not just a Sendero, So is that the gun you recomend? Sendero II?

Heavier bullet with slower burning powder helps reduce recoil as well.

Google "Pain Killer" muzzle brake. You will not find a better muzzle brake on the market.

Currently Savage is outselling everything out there.

Your 110 and 116's (long Action) can be had for a very easy price tag especially used. Savage barrel changes or anything on a Savage as far as that is concerned requires NO gunsmithing if one has a little mechanical talent. Everything that can be done to a Savage takes minutes and no special tools that amounts to anything. There is a huge Savage following because of the ease of changing everything which Saves time and gunsmithing fees.

The following statement is just not true to my knowledge.

You will not find a better muzzle brake on the market. There are some very good brakes out there and this is one of them.

I would contact Jim @ centershotrifles.com and he can and will set you up with anything you need.

Neal

You will not find a better muzzle brake on the market. There are some very good brakes out there and this is one of them.

Neal

Ummm....EVERYTHING posted on the internet, is opinion.

I also chose my words VERY carefully, I said you would not find a BETTER brake on the market, I did NOT say this was the BEST brake on the market.

Has anyone tried the "Blackhawk" Recoil reducing stock with a 300WM?? What does it feel like? 223.? 243.? 270.?

Thanks, I still need to find someone around here with a 300WM with a M--Brake and good recoil pad to try it before I spend the money on something I may not be able to shoot. I see the Sendero II But not just a Sendero, So is that the gun you recomend? Sendero II?
Yes. Currently there's just one Sendero type in production and indeed it is the Sendero SF II.

Has anyone tried the "Blackhawk" Recoil reducing stock with a 300WM?? What does it feel like? 223.? 243.? 270.?
I considered the stock because it's a novel idea and would certainly reduce recoil.

If you don't have very good eye relief on your scope though and are careful about keeping well back from the eyepiece that stock is going to cause a lot of cuts from the scope hitting your forehead.

Heavier bullet with slower burning powder helps reduce recoil as well.

Google "Pain Killer" muzzle brake. You will not find a better muzzle brake on the market.
No with the same bore size the heavier bullet is going to produce a greater recoil. Check any of the rcoil calculators online.

The only way to get a lower recoil with a heavier bullet is with a substantially lower powder charge. When you get to using the slowest powders you can with the heavier bullets unless you have a very long barrel you will have a lot of unburnt powder that creates a much larger muzzle flash and that also produces a greater "rocket motor effect" which adds to recoil not to mention blinding muzzle flash and excess noise.

Currently Savage is outselling everything out there.

Your 110 and 116's (long Action) can be had for a very easy price tag especially used. Savage barrel changes or anything on a Savage as far as that is concerned requires NO gunsmithing if one has a little mechanical talent. Everything that can be done to a Savage takes minutes and no special tools that amounts to anything. There is a huge Savage following because of the ease of changing everything which Saves time and gunsmithing fees.

I would contact Jim @ centershotrifles.com and he can and will set you up with anything you need.

Neal
They are both making great MB's, "better" is highly subjective unless you are actually comparing measured felt recoil and recorded rearward motion and muzzle flip.

Felt recoil also varies a great deal depending on how the rifle is set up, fits you, shooting position and recoil pad.

Well, I would like to know how much PPSI to the shoulder it is with that blackhawk stock with the 300WM. (And a muzzle break if possible) As far as scope bite goes, wouldn't the old way of measuring distance away from scope still work? 35+years ago, We used to take a yellow chalk stick, put baby-power on your RT side of face covering cheek good, bring the gun up like your going to shoot, and then down, mark around the smudge mark left by the baby power, should be a little marks like ( ) on the stock around the smudge in yellow, then recoat your face with more baby powder, and then raise the gun the same way and shoot it. Now you have a smudge over the yellow lines by how much it kicked your shoulder back, sometimes it's a 1/2 inch, or a inch or 1-1/4 -1-3/4 or what ever. then you measure it and Mark that with yellow chalk, then mount the scope twice the travel distance away from the furthest smudge mark end. So if it travels a inch then you mount it at least 2 inches from where your cheek ended up on the stock. Once you know that,(And you can repeat it a few times to make sure you have the farthest mark.) then you have to find a scope with a optical View range that will easily fit into that distance away.. When your all done measuring, a little Pledge on a rag wipes everything off and makes your gun shiny like new.. Of course all stocks were nice "wood" back then.. But I think it would work the same on today's stocks as well. :Dgun)Then "you" should never get bitten as long as "You" shoot the gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.