Low recoil .243 load

7mmSendaro

My 12 year old son will get to hunt antelope and mule deer with me in Wyoming for the first time next year.

Does anyone have a relatively low recoil .243 load?

I've got a 10.5 and nearly 12 yr old that are shooting 40 grs of Re 22 under the 100 gr partition. They think its a blast, no recoil complaints at all. They are both between 4'8" and 4"10" weighing in at about 90lbs.

The rifle is a Savage with a wood stock that I cut a couple of inches off of then put a better pad on. Has a standard contour barrel at 22".

Chris

Last edited:
My son is 9 years old and I was looking for the same answer as you not too long ago. I found that 40 grains of H4350 along with 85gr Sierra Gamekings worked nicely. I plan on letting him use it for whitetail this year. The recoil is noticeably less than the 100gr factory loads that I had shot in it before. He is using a Rem model 700. This load also grouped much better than factory ammo.

I can't remember the charge weight, but I used Trail Boss and an 85 gr Sierra for my daughter last year. She was 10 then, and maybe 4'6 and 65 pounds. She took some persuading to shoot the first shot but loved it. My 8 year old daughter also shot the same load and she weighed maybe 55 pounds. The rifle is a Maverick by Mossberg with the youth stock. Accuracy was decent from the bench at 50 yards. She was able to put three inside of an inch. This was also her first experience with a center fire and a scope.

I recently loaded some 85 sierra over 45 grains of rl 19 for a friend. His daughters use the gun and he asked me to load them and sight in the rifle. It was a savage youth model. I got .75 in groups and very mild recoil.

I load 43 grains of IMR4831 and 85 grain Sierra BTHP's in my son's 243. It is a Ruger Compact and both of my boys have used it deer hunting since they were 9 years old. That bullet puts them to sleep quicker than anything I have ever saw and I shot a .172" 3-shot 100 yard group with it before.....it is very accurate.

My formula for good useable reduced ouch loads is the same for every rifle. Heaviest bullet the rifle will shoot and mid-range powder loadings. lighter bullets are exactly backwards for friendly shooting, It is actually a law of physics for any given cartridge!

Accurate 5744 will allow you to load from 1700 fps all the way up to 2700 or so. It's
made for the job. My kids starting loads were 17.0 grains, with an 80 grn sierra and a
cci lrmag primer. 1900 fps. Kicked like a 55 grain .223.

Remington sells managed-recoil ammunition. That would be a consideration if you could use factory ammo in place of loading your own.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.