Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

Gentlemen,

Hello, I understand that the author of this article passed away, I am sorry. It was nice to see a review of a product at a real world price. I wish the various publications and web sites would focus more on quality, reasonably priced items. I love reading and learning about $600 rifles and $300 scopes. I think this is more in line with the majority of folks.

Tim

the problem with marking the turret with a sharpie is thats its a permanant mark. if you ever swap the scope to a different gun you could be sorry the mark is there. ive personally experienced this.
once the gun is zeroed and the scope knob reset at 0, simply bottom the scope out counting the clicks or minits and make note of that information.
whenever in doubt of your zero, just go to the bottom and back the noted amount which should be the zero setting.
losing zero is not an uncommon problem. otherwise zero stop in scopes would not have been created.
paying attention and good information works just as well.

as for lower cost scopes, theres no doubt many of them will do a fine job.
there is absolutly no need for one to feel left out for not having a high end scope or rifle.
buy what you can afford and use it. if it works for you nothing else matters.
dont worry about what other opinions are.

Quote:
[the problem with marking the turret with a sharpie is that it is a permanent mark. if you ever swap the scope to a different gun you could be sorry the mark is there. ive personally experienced this.]

A little tip for removing "permanent marker" is that it wipes up clean even after several years using "Kroil"......Also use Kroil on the end of a tooth pick to scribe a line in the permanent marker for an accurate set point....This method has worked well for me for in marking conventional turrets before target turrets were common and affordable....

Last edited:
i never met or talked to ian. i feel that has been a great loss on my side. this article is so close to the spirit that i have shooting. having 7 children in my family and a wife new to the "art" (i really prefer the term art than sport), money has been a major consideration over the last 40 years. since all of my rifles except a couple are over the counter sporters with little modification, it is hard to warrant a scope that costs 4-5 times the rifle and all the accoutraments. a friend of mine 25 years ago ran a sporting goods store and he allowed me to take all types of scopes home to test. i once took a variXIII leupold, swarovski, burris, and nikon home. i set them up to look at some barbed wire fencing at 300 yards and i wrote down the date, time and observation. the nikon was the first to not be able to see the tines on the barbs toward nighttime, leupold second, swarovski the third and the burris was able to see the tines even at night with some stars and no moon. all were 6-24 power range. a light meter showed the burris to be at about 95, swarovski about 85 down to about 75 for the others. looking out over the mission mountains at sunrise and sunset, i was able to check for peripeheral distortion and chromic aberrations. the burris beat all of them hands down. at 350 $ it was less than 1/3 the others except for the nikon. i have heard since then that burris sold out and their quality went down for a while then resold? and now are almost back to par with their old scopes. i still have 3 of the 6-24 mildot signatures 25 years old. they have been in -70 to 110 weather, dropped, frozen solid in ice and snow, rain, etc. and have NEVER LOST a zero. i have had 3 leupolds disintergrate during that time with less trauma done to them.
i am immensely impressed with the busnells too. just discovered them a few years ago and have scopes, binos, etc. of that brand that i would put up with burris, as well as dependability. of course i would prefer the optics of leica or zeiss (dont know about nightforce, never looked thru one) but i would like to win the lottery too and get a "real" long range gun and have a 1000 yard range at the back door as well as a 500 yard indoor range, etc. etc. etc.
i am really interested in any others with reports (good or bad) about other optics than what we always hear about. how about osprey? BSA? trijicon? the new weavers? etc.
as far as i know i believe that tasco as well as weaver, simmons and several others were bought out by speer,rcbs. i know that was the case about 15 years ago, dont know who owns them now. as for Bausch and Lomb, they are to busnell as catillac is to chevy. they have been world famous in microscopes and fine optics since WWII. thanks ahead of time for all of you guys imput.
heres looking at you!

thought i'd chime in, this article helped me decide on my scope for longer range stuff. i got the 3200 10x40 its been awesome! been shoooting 200, 300, 385, and 500 meters. dial for any one back down back up all good. i wanted to c how much room i had to adjust up and i have 34 moa up from my 100 yard zero! i think thats enough to get to 1000 yards with my .243 win. or i think haven't tried yet. but the scope is a winner for the money!

Yep im with you.Awesome about sums it up,Iwanted a fixed power scope for my 204 and had a choice between a loopy 12x or this funny looking out of proportion bushnell 10x40 3200.The loopy was 2nd hand and a fair bit dearer so I went for the bushnell.Ididn't like oversized turrets as I thought they would get knocked off but since bushnell has a lifetime warranty i reckoned i'd give it ago.Well you know I got it home,dropped it on my ruger,boresighted it fired 1 shot at 100 yds.The bullet landed 6" to the right and 1and a half inches high so I held the scope steady on the bench rest and wound the windage across untill the cross hair was in line with the bullet hole.I then fired another 3 shots to confirm poi to be 1.5"high above the point of aim,4shots and the job was done.you dont get much better than that,and by the way,i've bumped the turrets against the 4wd lever in my ute several times now and they dont break. As far as optical quality of glass is concerned,its not as good as my new vx3 3.5-10x50 but its not far behind it and i didnt buy it to shoot deer in the last glimmer of light either. My best shot was 3 crows at 300yds with one shot,now you got to be happy with that

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.