Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

First post to this site, two questions:
1. Suggestions on an affordable scope to mount on a Savage 111 in 7mm RUM?
2. Comments on the 7mm RUM itself? I was recently on another site and it was getting trashed pretty hard.

I bought three of the Savage 111s in 7mm RUM; one for me and one for each of my sons. At $275 each, NIB, I couldn't pass it up. I'm not a reloader yet, but am looking for a used Rockchucker in good shape (I read the new ones are made in China and the quality has really declined). At $64.00/box, reloading will quickly pay off. I don't want to spend a fortune on a scope, am a "bang for the buck" guy (excuse the pun). I would to push the 500yd envelope. How much magnification do I need to pull that off? Thanks all for the input and recommendations.

Thanks for the reply. I read the article and then checked out the Bushnell referenced in the article at SWFA. Looks like what I need, but 10x seemed a bit less than what I thought I might need. I bought the rifles at Larry's Guns in Huntsville, AL. I bought one of them last year. Then, I was in his shop a couple weeks ago looking for a Savage in .243 with a AccuTrigger. He didn't have any, but had the Marlins with their version of the AccuTrigger, but I didn't know anything about them, so passed. I asked Larry if he had anything in a 7mm Mag, but all he had was the Marlin. I mentioned to Larry I had bought the 7mm RUM from him a year ago and that I sure wished he had some of those left. He said "I've got four left in the back, two synthetic and two wood". I bought the two wood stocks he had left. I'm not sure if he still has the two synthetic stocks left, but you could look up the number and give him a call. I figured it was too good a deal to pass up. Larry said he bought the last ones Savage had a year ago. I guess they didn't sell because of the rumors that you only get 50 shots out of a barrel, that the caliber is going away because it never caught on, the "you don't need that much power", or the popularity of the short mags, or all the above. Regardless, I couldn't let it go. Good luck, let me know if pick one up from Larry's. I don't know if there's a better deal anywhere. I bought into the Savage line without REALLY knowing a lot about them, other than I read a lot of reviews about how accurate they are out of the box. I know they're a high end rifle, but I'm all about the "mostest for the leastest", and I think my cheap little Savage will hold its own against the Rems, Winnys, Brownies and just about anything else out there. Wadda ya think....

Hi Ian and others....

I've read through the article and post and have a couple questions regarding fixed versus variable power. My hunting experience has given me opportunities from 50yds out to 600+ (which I have not taken). I'm a bit nervous in considering a fixed power scope.

In the scopes mentioned in the article, do you have any concerns wtih their equivalent varable power scopes? In terms of repeatability, clarity, reliability, etc...what should I be aware of when comparing fixed and variable power? I know that price is more, but I'm wondering if there are other things I should consider.

It seems like you get a lot for your money with fixed power, but I'm still nervous. I have a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 right now and I've thought that if I want to stretch my shots out to 600-800yds I would need something with higher mag, so I was looking at a variable power that goes up to the 14X to 20X range on the high end.

Price is an issue, but I'm not constrained to the $200 range. Having said that, I cannot spend the $1000+ it would take to get a Nightforce or high end Leupold, etc. I would be happy to get something for under $500 if it meets my needs.

Also, since the article was written over a year ago I wonder how the market lalndscape and offerings has changed.

Sorry for all the question - I was going to try and be concise. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

I have a bushnell elite 3200 5-15X with turrets and a mil dot on a .243 I love this scope! It is great and I got it for under 300.00 new!

Thanks coyote...

I notice that this 3200 does not have a focus/paralax adjustment. How is focus on this scope at the higher magnifications?

Another question.

I notice that this scope is around $365 right now and I find a Nikon Monarch 4-16x for around $415.

I've had good luck with other Nikon gear. Would anyone have an opinion on the Monarch's versus the Bushy 3200 head to head?

My impression (only from reading) has been that the Monarchs are a step above the 3200's...maybe on par with the 4200's??

There are a couple of interesting scopes on the market since that was written. Nikon has an ED long range scope in their Monarch series that is very sharp and reasonably priced. Also the new Bushnell 6500 scopes are amazing performers in my tests. Both of these scope are not in the lowest price range but much more reasonably priced than the big boys. Both offer lots of magnification, adequate adjustment range to reach out and superb optics for the money. The Nikon is a one inch tube whereas the 6500's are 30mm. Scopes just keep getting better. Will be interesting when Leupold brings out the replacement for the VariX111's this coming SHOT show.

The 5-15X elite does have an AO adjustment and the mil dot for correst use is set at 12X but with a little math you can use it at any setting, I like have the turrets to adjust if I have the time or set it to 12X and be on with my mil dot retical. I keep it on 6X most of the time as that works well for calling in most coyotes.

Sorry - I'm new to some of the nomenclature here...

What does AO stand for? Is it a focal adjustment at the eye piece instead of at the turrets? Does it work reasonably well on the 3200?

Thanks again.

Sorry - I'm new to some of the nomenclature here...

What does AO stand for? Is it a focal adjustment at the eye piece instead of at the turrets? Does it work reasonably well on the 3200?

Thanks again.

AO is Adjustable Objective, the parallax adjustment is on the objective end. My opinion is that Nikon's glass is much better than Bushnell's. Nikon is supposed to have the interchangable turrets for the lower powerd Monarchs now also.

I just finished reading Ian's article on low cost long rnage scopes. **** I wish he was around to reply to this himself.... What a great loss to the hunting and outdoors community. I guess I should get to the point. I have been looking at the osprey 4-16 x50 tacticle as an entry level scope. I have a .257 sub-moa that I have been wanting to put a leupold mark-4 on. But alas, The sub-moa has been sitting patiently waiting for a scope. I can't take the rifle sitting and not being able to shoot it any longer. But I can't afford the scope I want at this time. Does anyone have any experience with the Osprey line of scopes?lightbulb

You can save your zero setting by taking a red sharpie and color in the first rotation then maybe a blue for the next rotation, and so on, then simply turn back to the bottom of the red mark to reset your zero it's, that simple.

Live long and shoot well

Rick

Last edited:
WOW, what an outstanding article! I have shot elk and antelope at 500 yards with both my .300 and .338 Win Mags with Sightron scopes, but missed at 629 yards.

I've been wanting to start longer range shooting but like so many others, I can't afford to pay $1000-$2000 for a scope. I looked into NightForce and Huskemaw scopes, but they cost a bunch.

Anyway, I wanted to know how to get started.
I reload my own rounds so I know my bullet and powder weights and can look up my bullet coefficient. I also just purchased a chronograph to measure the speed f the bullet, so how do I know which turret I need?

Also, where can I purchase one of these SS scopes in Montana?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.