Low power AR scope

Takem406

I bought a Daniel Defense v7 last spring and have been running iron sights while saving up for a quality optic. Looking to spend about $500 max. Something illuminated in a 1-4 to a 1-5 or 6 power.
I'd go ahead and just run an Aimpoint but I'm planning on doing some hunting with the rifle.
I see Vortex has their new Strike Eagle but the gophers are already coming out and I'm not sure I can wait for its release.
Really looking over the Leupold line. The VXR looks great but I don't like the exposes turrets and how easy they seem to get bumped. How's the VX3? I like the 1-5 and the covered turrets. How's the Vortex Viper 1-4? I've looked at them at a few stores and they seem solid and clear. Any other suggestions?

I don't know about the leupold, I don't have one. I do have the Vortex 1-4 and really like it. It's very clear and the adjustments work.

SWFA SS Classic Riflescopes

ss14x24ir.jpg

• ss14x24irt.jpg
  • SS14X24IR-1t.jpg
  • SS14X24IR-2t.jpg
  • SS14X24IR-Rt.jpg
Stock # - SS14X24IR

• Matte Finish
  • Illuminated Mil-Quad DM
  • 30mm Tube
  • .10 Mrad Turrets
ATTENTION
We are currently out of stock of this item. We will not be able to ship any new orders until the end of April 2015. Due to this unexpected delay we are giving away a FREE SWFA S.S.A.L.T mount with every purchase made from 12-5-14 to 04-30-2015. Sorry for the delay.

This isn't the answer for low powered scopes, but low power is for finding a target faster. High power increases accuracy at distances. That is with fine enough cross hairs. I'm a 40 year varminter and I find that my enjoyment level goes up with scope power. It gives you the ability to see ground squirrels out past 200 yards

It takes 12 power to see a .223 hole on paper at 100 yards

It takes 24 power to see it at 200 yrds.

my 24 inch match barrel 223 has a 6-25 56mm and I turn it down to look around and then right back to 20+ for shooting

borrow a varmint rifle with a high powered scope is my advice before you buy!

You would never see a dime at 100 yards on a low powered scope. It gives me the ability to hit a small target presentation.

Group_zpsoncrth5m.jpg
[/URL]

The Leupold Mark AR with the FireDot G SPR reticle is very nice glass. It can be used with or without illumination. You must determine what your objective with the rifle is going to be because as stated directly above, precision long distance shooting is not the strong suit of a 1.5 - 4x scope. The FireDot G has a green dot that can be set at 1 of 6 intensities or turned off. The dot will automatically turn on to the last setting with movement. If you are planning to hunt any game with a dark hair color or at low light time of day or night time, this reticle is VERY GOOD to have. Each hash mark is 2.5 mils and just a short time on the range will give you exactly what elevation information that you need to hold on specific hash marks at ranges out to 500 yards or more. This a very good scope for hunting once you memorize the proper hash mark for the known range of your shot. The exposed turrets are not easily moved if bumped, however you can reset the turrets to Zero position upon sighting in if you wish and then will be easy to check for Zero position any time you are in the field.

Leupold has one of the best customer service departments as well as a lifetime no arguing guarantee policy that repairs or replaces upon demand.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts