Low end variable power

The Oregonian

Debating low end range on scope...between ATACR 4-16 and 5x25. Will be on a 280AI and will be my primary whitetail gun and primary range gun. The sensible side of me says that 4 on the low end (27ft FOV at 100 yds) is a much better choice than 5 (18ft FOV at 100). Live in the south where shots can be 25-100 yds if hunting in the woods, but do more hunting in the Midwest these days, or on food plots, where quickly acquiring a target in close quarters is much less of an issue.

But the other voice says that 25 and 56mm would be better for light and fun at the range....

Anyone else gone through this dilemma?

You've got it figured pretty well.

I've got one of each, and from your description of use I'd go with the 4-16. Love the 5-25 also, but for me it makes a better long range varmint scope, but the 4-16 can get a lot of that done also.

You've got it figured pretty well.

I've got one of each, and from your description of use I'd go with the 4-16. Love the 5-25 also, but for me it makes a better long range varmint scope, but the 4-16 can get a lot of that done also.
That is what my head tells me but my heart / fun side says 5-25....if I am smart I will go with the 4-16...but I've done dumb things before.

You did not state the vegetation and terrain you hunt in.

I hunt in open meadows, and thick timber (Lodgepole Pine and aspen). I use 2-10x scopes for close range and long shots, hunting elk with my 270 WSM or my 338 Win Mag in northeastern Utah. Here you can never be sure if it is a long shot or short shot next.

Hunting will be 500 and in most likely, but can get into dense woods in the south for whitetails. So 4x makes sense...but I like extra magnification for range and to use as a spotting scope, which is never really part of a whitetail hunt. Hunts in Kansas can have some long views and I hunt there most years.

4-16×50.

I had a 3-15×50 on my .280AI, and it was plenty for hunting at all distances the rifle was capable of cleanly taking game. I even shot it on targets out to 1500+.

You could always look at the March F 3-24×52. Best of both worlds. Good low end with wide FOV, plenty of top end for the long shots at small targets.

No its not. But it can be used for addl detail over binos when a spotting scope isn't available. Not sure what the point of your post was....

My point is that a rifle and it's optic are not to be used for "additional details " when a spotting scope isn't available. I've had rifles trained on me before by hunters who lacked proper observation equipment. It is unnerving to say the least .

Point being, don't point rifles at me because you have ****** binoculars.

My point is that a rifle and it's optic are not to be used for "additional details " when a spotting scope isn't available. I've had rifles trained on me before by hunters who lacked proper observation equipment. It is unnerving to say the least .

Relax cowboy. Addl details are looking more closely at something you can already make out. I see a deer at 500 yds through my binos and I am going to put my higher power scope on it to get a better look.

It is a long, long way from what i said to you feeling like i am putting crosshairs on you. Settle down and stop preaching.

I totally understand not wanting a rifle point at you but that's not how I read his post. If he is like me, as soon as I ID an animal while hunting I jump behind the gun to confirm if I want to shoot or not. I don't "glass" with a rifle scope while hunting.

Added: you beat me to it

A lot of hunters use their rifle scope for classing after their 8x Busnell binoculars spot movement. I'm no cowboy, I just don't think folks understand that using rifle scopes to see details leads to accidents.

I personally know 3 people who were shot by hunters who "though they'd seen something" . Unacceptable.

A lot of hunters use their rifle scope for classing after their 8x Busnell binoculars spot movement. I'm no cowboy, I just don't think folks understand that using rifle scopes to see details leads to accidents.

I personally know 3 people who were shot by hunters who "though they'd seen something" . Unacceptable.
Well, to lump me in with them when you know nothing about me is a big leap and comes across as a father preaching to his sons. It also completely hijacked the thread.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.