low end expansion for A-MAX 7mm?

G

I've trying to find my first LR deer rig. Looks like a Savage 112BVSS 7mm Rem (1-9.5"). According to my calculations, the 162 gr. A-Max @ 3100 fps (26") can reach out to 750 yards and stay above 2000 fps. At what velocity will this bullet expand at? I'm looking for 1000 yard reach for hunting shots. Velocity at that range is 1730 fps. Is that enough speed to get some blowup on a rib shot?

My longest kill with this bullet was at 690 yards at 3900 feet of elevation. Muzzle velocity of 3200 and terminal velocity of 2300. The bullet did not exit the mule deer. It lodged just under the hide of the far side shoulder, with about 2x expansion.

What about a 150 gr. Barnes X boat tail, it is supposed to expand down to 1600 fps. This would be the speed at 1000 yards, if muzzle speed is 3200 ft.-sec. Would that be a good choice if I could get great accuracy from them?
confused.gif

Those bullets will expand into the low teens of impact vel. Prove it to yourself with some wet phone books or milk jugs filled with water. Gives you something to practise with too.

You will have no problem at 1000yds, if you get it into the boiler room.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.