Loving the 140 eld match

Thats all i shoot out of my 6.5 creeds. Never lost a deer or pig with them.. accurate and the end result is always bang flop

I think it's a great bullet in the 6.5 Creedmoor. I've taken it out to over 1200 yards on steel.

And while whitetails are generally not a tough animal to bring down I tend to follow the manufacturer's recommendations on bullets and would rather use Hornady's ELDX bullet for hunting.

Actually my go to hunting rifle is a 6.5x55 and I use the Hornady 140gr SP. Its reputation is one shot kills on whitetail sized animals.

I've done some ballistic jell testing with that bullet and it's predecessor the A-MAX. I wouldn't be afraid to take a whitetail with them not my first choice but they would get it done. I did shoot a coyote with the 123 A-MAX at around 150yds turned entire chest cavity to jello. It was like watching one of the hunting videos where the animal just collapses without so much as a kick.

That's pretty potent medicine for whistle pigs! I'm running a 130 Accubond in my 6.5 Norma (custom savage) and got it loaded at a modest 2920 fps. If Accubonds weren't so hard to come by this time of year (and expensive), I'd give them a try for wood chucks out of the Norma. Instead, I think I'll maybe load up a 123 grain SST (my current "go-to" for my 6.5 X 47L) and see what happens in the Norma. Should turn those little bastages into a yard sale!

Pushing the 140 eld match out of 6.5x284 at 2950 connected on 2 groundhogs at over 700 and crushed em pretty good...wouldn't be scared one bit to shoot whitetail with this bullet at the 600 to 1000yd range.
Haven't had any experience with the ELDs in the 6.5 caliber. I use the 140 Amax on ground hogs out to and beyond 1000 yards with very good success accuracy wise as well as performance. They exit about like a half dollar. Even at 1000+ yards results are the same as 600 yards. Great deer bullets too.

140 ELDM works for me 2 years in a row. This is 2017 mule deer. All entrance wounds, completely mushed one lung into soup, clipped an artery going into the heart, and blood trail was insane. He bucked up into the air, bounced once, took about 8 half life steps and rolled down the hill dead.

You're right. Loved the A-max for deer in my 6.5-284Norma and personal, longest shot with 'em on whitetail was 723yds. Dirt nap.
Good shooting on those ground hogs. I love to shoot them thangs! I lived in Elkton, Va. a few years back and my longest kills were at 600yds, with .243Win and 90gn Ballistic Tips. That is sooo much fun!
Not sure if I've taken any deer with the 140 ELD-M's but I have taken several with the 143gn ELD-X. This past season, one with the 147gn ELD-M. Distance was 175-200yds and it slammed him down. His tail quivered and he gave up.
Back in 2010-2011, I killed a couple deer in Georgia with the 120gn Ballistic Tips and they are like little, nuclear cruise missiles. Accurate and very terminal!
Thanks for posting.

Doesn't really take all that much to kill a whitetail. Most 6.5 bullets are going to have decent to very good sectional density and aren't too lightly constructed. Bullet placement is always going to be key and if you feel like the angle of the shot is such that penetration to the vitals is marginal then wait for a better opportunity.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.