Love to hunt or a glutton for punishment

birddog 68

I'm guessing that I'm not alone on this.
Why is it that the more punishment I put myself through on a hunt it's much more memorable? Maybe it's physical or mental punishment but if it's punishment I seem to love it. Afterwards that is.
When looking back on a tough hunt I seem to forget about how miserable I was at the time.
When I tell a story about how rough a hunt was and I finish by saying that I can't wait to do it again they look at me like I'm crazy!
Are there others that are crazy like me or do most everyone want and wish for a easy walk in the park hunt?

Well shoot, I can psychoanalyze this! I think we all like an easy hunt now and again, but mainly we like the sense of accomplishment when we've completed something difficult. Personally, I want to feel that I've "earned" whatever the goal was. This also holds true for jobs; most of us aren't looking for a handout. Same for life in general.

Yep, sometimes the memories are also from watching other hunters in the area. Had this group a guys in the same recreation area campground, pretty near to our elk camp. We'd wander over in the evening to get their latest scouting report. They had rented a string of horses and saddles, from a wrangler, maybe 7 or 8 horses. The wrangler told them , each saddle was custom matched to certain horse in the string. One saddle was a youth model, had to of got at a yard sale. The shortest guy in their group had that youth saddle and horse. The wrangler also put a stated value on each horse, if it got lost or hurt. Holy Smokes, we'd laugh 1/2 the night, when we left their camp. Really good guys, even helped us pack out an Elk. They had a updated Rodeo tale, almost every nite.

Last edited:
Here you go, this explains it nicely. Although I'm NOT a fan of REI, this article is kinda fun.

My buddies and I have adopted some of these descriptions of our adventures, from hunting to mountain biking, dirt biking and other.

Revisionist history. We tend to overlook the bad and only concentrate on the good.

I played college baseball. Didn't care that much for my coach, the 5 AM weight lifting sessions, cutting the outfield grass with a push mover, the sprints, timed mile runs.....

What I wouldn't give to go back and do it all again.

Here you go, this explains it nicely. Although I'm NOT a fan of REI, this article is kinda fun.

My buddies and I have adopted some of these descriptions of our adventures, from hunting to mountain biking, dirt biking and other.

I'm talking about the type 2 although I remember quite a few type 3's. Now that I'm a bit older and somewhat wiser I try to stay clear of type 3

Well shoot, I can psychoanalyze this! I think we all like an easy hunt now and again, but mainly we like the sense of accomplishment when we've completed something difficult. Personally, I want to feel that I've "earned" whatever the goal was. This also holds true for jobs; most of us aren't looking for a handout. Same for life in general.
This right here for me too.

Whenever a conversation dwindles and nobody knows where to go next, I pull out a tale of some of my toughest hunts. By the end I've had everyone wincing in pain, grimacing with misery and laughing at my stupidity and whatever predicament I'd found myself in.

The ones that hurt are the most fun… with time.

My body has taken a great deal of abuse in my 63 years. I've broken just about every bone type in my body. Cars and racing off road motorcycles caused much of the damage. I was never the biggest or strongest, but in my youth I was one of the toughest of all my buddies or competitors. I wish I was smarter back then. I'm paying for it now. My days of putting 10+ miles hunting in a day are over. However, you are right, the memories and sense of accomplishment on some of those really tough hunts are hard to beat.