Love my new Edge

longrangefreek

I finally finished my 338 Edge a couple of weeks ago and am extremely excited to use it on this up coming hunting season. I have already shot about 125 rounds out of it testing loads and shooting long range. My furthest shot with this rifle is 1455 yards just yesterday. the wind conditions sucked. I was getting 3 different wind directions coming across the canyon and once I finally got the wind dialed in that pour rock was getting pounded. the deasert is a hard place to judge wind. there was no mirage to help depict what the wind was doing.

Last weekend I went up close to where I elk hunt to test her out and was able to put a 4 shot group on a rock roughly 10 inches diameter at 1450 yrds. the bullets hit within 5 or 6 inches of each other. the conditions were absolutely perfect. a 1 MPH wind from left to right. the greatest part about that shooting session was the fact that my buddies rangefinders would not pick up the range so I used my reticle to bracket and calculate the distance. I came up with 1400 yrds. I shot and hit 1 minute low of center rock. I hit right under it. I made the adjustment and hit 4 in a row. I went back to my Palm program and it gave me 1450 for the MOA I had in the scope. that was so darn fun.

The gun is a Savage based rifle. I used a model 11 action
Shilen Select match barrel finished @ 30 in.
Laminent thumhole stock
SSS recoil lug
SSS 1.5 lb spring for the accutrigger
Tactical bolt handle from SSS
Defensive edge Muzzle brake
Single shot follower from SSS
I pillar bedded and glass bedded the action myself
Picatinny rail / Warn rings
Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x50 scope.

the only work I had done for me was the brake installation. the project was extremely easy and am looking forward to my next build.

It is only a single shot but it really is not that bad once you get used to it.

I bet you get a lot of satisfaction in putting it all together yourself.
I went out yesterday and shot my Edge, I thought I needed a new load for it. The original load I have used for several years shot a solid 1/2moa or less @ 100yds but had an ES that I didn't care for. I got a new batch of H1000 and the lot to lot difference is quite a bit. It was 2840fps average and now it dropped 100fps and seems to produce a little higher pressure. Like the burn rate is higher. But...I shot three 3-shot groups in a row that averaged under 1/4" @ 100yards! I put it up and called it good, I think I can live with the velocity decrease:D

Congrats on the new rifle! Post some pics if you can.

Are you shooting 300 gr SMKs out of it? What kind of accuracy are you getting at 100 yds (not what you built it for but nice for apples to apples comparison)?

What is the weight of the rifle?

I'm looking to build almost that exact rifle in the next year or two. Did you run any issues when building it?

Thanks.

I am shooting 300 gr SMK's out of her. I am shooting right around 2840 ft Per second and my tightest group was just under 1/4 inch at 100 yards. the gun really shoots and if I bring my A game it shows it. I will get some pictures here soon. I have been spending all my free time shooting her getting ready form my deer hunt next week. I drew a very good buck tag in Southeast Idaho.

Bravo 4 I bought some new H1000 and had nothing but trouble with it. Eratic vellocity,pressure signs even 4 grs less powder than my standard load. Ended up ditching it went to RL25 now have a ES of 6 fps a little more velocity and as good as accuracy as the best I ever got out of the H1000. Also switched my primer from CCI 250 to Fed 215's I'm running 300 gr matchkings at 2867.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.