Lots of People like to bash brands.

I don't have visual proof because I have only sent 2 back in 30 yrs of smithing. But like I said before that some people could break a steel rod mounted. Here in PA we don't have to dial scopes day in and day out. Our hunting is mostly wooded and not far. I'm sure if you depend on a scope to dial distance all the time that's more wear and tear. I have vortex pst2 that seems to track well. But being first focal plane I use the reticle. I want a vx6hd for hunting but all the bad mojo towards Leupold has me second guessing. Then I'm looking at vortex lrt scopes. But then vortex sucks too according to this thread. So what to do. Maybe just put a vx3i on it and be happy.
Shep
you know leupold probably sells as many scopes in a couple days as nightforce sells in a year so I really wonder what the percentage of repairs to sales is between the two not biased one way or the other just curious

25WSM There's a real difference in how scopes are used out West and back east. Like you stated you don't dial your Leupold's. Most shots back east are close and once the gun is sighted in it's all about hold over.
Out Here it's about dialing to shoot longer distances. This requires a scope that will track perfectly and repeatedly and return to zero. There's no doubt in my mind that if more People dialed their Leupold's they would have allot more failures.
I really like some aspects of the Leupold's. Their lightweight is their best quality and most think the weight is perfect for a hunting rifle. The problem lies with the Erector system. It's just not built strong enough or sturdy enough to dial repeatedly and return to zero. That is their downfall.

I really want a scope I can dial. I don't like the ffp scopes I have because on low power the crosshair is tiny. Hold over crosshairs on SFP scopes suck because you need to be on an exact power to make the crosshair work. So really want a dial up scope but don't want 30 oz either. Maybe their just isn't such a thing.
Shep

I have a brand new Zeiss V4 6-24x50 zmoa-1 scope that I just installed on my Rifle. It replaced my Leupold VX-3. The price is right around 800.00.
The reviews on these Zeiss V4's have been stellar with them dialing very well. Looking through the glass early in the morning and right before dark I can tell I'm going to be very happy with it.

There is a 10oz weight penalty going to this scope from my Lightweight 1" Leupy but I feel it's going to be worth it.

I've only run my vx6hd one season. Between load development and shooting 5-700 yds I put through 400 rounds. No problems so far. It sounds like a good match for you other than you not liking hold over on SFP. My only complaint is I wish the turret clicks were stiffer/more pronounced. They're kind of soft and mushy. It's the 4-24 TMOA. No experience with March, but lots of guys recommend them.

it's like anything else. You want a Leupold, go buy one.

It's all relative. Anyone who is satisfied with their track record and quality [sic] of glass, go knock yourself out. PA has happily set itself up with hunting rules that cater to the lowest common denominator, so for most people here any scope is "good enough" unless it's a heavily overcast day. Lots of guys don't even sight their stuff in, and have a pocketful of odds and ends cartridges that they roll out into the woods with. IMO, some of them would be better off with a club or pointy stick. I know one guy who thinks that if he sees deer more than 400 yards away, all it takes is to put in a "boat tail" and he'll automatically hit them, even though he's not sighted in and never practices that far. He has some "boat tails" from when he went out west 30 years ago, and he knows they're magic. He wont let me see them; must be worried I'll steal their juju or something. I just hope they are the right cartridge for the rifle he has now. But hey, he knows it all and rejects anything that others tell him.

The same thing that is said about scopes can be said about cars or gunsmiths or anything else. I once took a few guns to a guy up in the coal regions. The people I had talked to raved about the guy. When I got the rifles back, the "custom competition rifle" the guy built was a pile of dogcrap. The old school classic mauser with exhibition grade tigerstriping in the stock had been hacked and beat like he took a belt sander to it, and the scout rifle that he presented an itemized list of "work completed" actually had not even half the work truly done. Oh, you inletted and freefloated the stock? Then why is the factory paint still there in the barrel channel, you fraud? But I guess the guys who store their rifles in a leaky barn and then "shoot the rust out of the bore" once a year probably think he's the Copernicus of gunsmithery, and the leupold that he cranked into their see-through mounts makes them the final authority at deercamp. To them, the work this guy did made them so happy it brought tears to their eyes. And you can't tell them anything either.

So just why in the heck should any of us care what you want, what you think adequate proof is or anything else you are asking. If you don't want the information provided without the members having to provide notarized documentation then please bogg off to somewhere you will be happier. WE can easily live without you basically calling us a bunch of lying road apples. Have a great life troll.
"So just why in the heck should any of us care what you want,"
You shouldn't care what I want! {I don't care what you want}

"If you don't want the information provided without the members having to provide notarized documentation then please bogg off to somewhere you will be happier"

You could just move on to a different thread I'm sure you would be happier.

I Don't know what a lying road apple is but I am quite sure you are the troll here!
Like I posted previously If You Don't Like My Thread MOVE ON!!
Not to mention what is there maybe 2 pages out of the 20 that have anything to do with my original post!
You have proven to me that you are a Tool! You should try posting on S.H. most on that forum love people like you.

I don't have visual proof because I have only sent 2 back in 30 yrs of smithing. But like I said before that some people could break a steel rod mounted. Here in PA we don't have to dial scopes day in and day out. Our hunting is mostly wooded and not far. I'm sure if you depend on a scope to dial distance all the time that's more wear and tear. I have vortex pst2 that seems to track well. But being first focal plane I use the reticle. I want a vx6hd for hunting but all the bad mojo towards Leupold has me second guessing. Then I'm looking at vortex lrt scopes. But then vortex sucks too according to this thread. So what to do. Maybe just put a vx3i on it and be happy.
Shep
Anything can break or come out of a factory bad....with that being said, get what you want. Make yourself happy!! I don't put to much into people downing equipment.
There is a big difference in people having a failure and people knowing people who know people who know someone's grandpa that broke that scope in 1973.
Most of the people in my hunting and shooting groups use Leupold and there have been very few failures. Out of that group of people we all carried Leupold into Iraq and Afghanistan and other countries around the world and we didn't have any failures. So maybe it's the user more than the piece of equipment. Maybe some of the people are selling one piece of equipment and down another piece to make theirs look better. Maybe some of the people are not smart enough to figure out how to use the piece of equipment correctly.
There is nothing wrong with a Leupold VX3I.
This is your optic and you know what you need, no one else does.

Best of luck on your decision.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts