Lots of Grouse up here

Northeastern lower peninsula of Michigan our numbers are way up.
The nest busters, coons skunks opossums and fox are the 4 legged problems.
Late season hunting December or later is a mistake.
But the biggest problem are the avian predators.
IMO
Steve Bair

Steve:

Can't disagree with you on your thoughts.

Do you think Turkeys have a negative influence on grouse?

In northern WI a bad winter or two will knock the Turkeys down quite a bit. But a few mild winters and they'll be thick all over, and it seems that when there's Turkeys all over, there's less grouse. We haven't tracked it, and there's probably a lot of other factors, but it's a correlation we've noticed.

What area of the UP are you in?

Lots of great memories hunting grouse with my grandpa. We always let him ground sluice his 3 and then we would hunt. We wanted to shoot them on the fly. He would always say how dumb it was when we missed or didn't shoot one. We always joke to this day he would sluice a grouse sitting on a sign that said THIS IS THE LAST GROUSE IN THE UNIVERSE.

Last Fall was the first time in 53 years of deer hunting that I took my shotgun with me out to the stand. shot 4 on the way out.
saw more grouse then deer last fall, WOLVES and Hawk/Eagle as well as Winter Owl migration take a big hit here.
T.P.

Last Fall was the first time in 53 years of deer hunting that I took my shotgun with me out to the stand. shot 4 on the way out.
saw more grouse then deer last fall, WOLVES and Hawk/Eagle as well as Winter Owl migration take a big hit here.
T.P.

VT:

Sounds exactly the same as where I deer hunt. Deer hunting's been pretty poor for awhile, but there is some birds around.

Where do you hunt?