Lothar Walther barrel reviews?

This is my last post on this thread due to the ****ing match going on. But as far as the LW not shooting hunting bullets well is just not true. The pic of the shots on the steel are 3 consecutive shots using AR-Comp, RWS Brass, F210M, and 168 NBT Hunting bullets at 718yds. The paper target was at 100yds in the prone position with three consecutive shots. It measured .116" So I would say its a matter of loading and not necessarily the barrel. You need to find a bullet it likes. It's a 28" 1:12 twist Lothar on a Savage action. I had my barrel pre-chambered and threaded to fit my Savage from LW. It cost a little extra, but no more than if I would have ordered a blank and payed a smith to do it. Have a good one gentlemen!

Awesome shooting!! That done with very good, appropriate bbl - material. :D

have missed your posts! Good to hear from you
gary

Hi gary its always enternaining to read your posts, my buddy Brit texted me and said there is a guy on LRH posting about LW barrels and he knows his stuff, so i thought i better have a look.
I have been posting heavily on the UK forums, visiting here occaisionally, i recognised your name straight away and i must say it was refreshing to read down to earth fact gained from first hand experience.

Ian.

Hi gary its always enternaining to read your posts, my buddy Brit texted me and said there is a guy on LRH posting about LW barrels and he knows his stuff, so i thought i better have a look.
I have been posting heavily on the UK forums, visiting here occaisionally, i recognised your name straight away and i must say it was refreshing to read down to earth fact gained from first hand experience.

Ian.

good to hear from you!

I simply posted me experiences in machining 17ph-4. Some think it's not for the faint of heart, and others take it as just another grade of steel (put my in the latter group). Every piece of metal that is new to you becomes a challange. Yet the challange is what you make of it. I've cut metal that makes that stuff like it were 8620, and of course cut lots of metal that was easier. I still put Hestalloy right at the top of the worst, but there are some others just as bad. One of the worst jobs I had was cutting some 24" discs of Ni-Chrome steel on a hand lathe. The harmonics were so bad that inserts simply shattered after cutting a quarter of an inch. Surface speed was probably three times too fast at the slowest speed the lathe would run. The first piece of titanium I cut simply dissappeared, as it burnt up! S7 was anybetter! But I learned.

I see no problem with cutting 17ph-4 with high speed steel, but my first option would be Vasco Supreme. Rex 95 would do well too. I found the stuff to be somewhat selective about coolants, and a spray mist seems to work best. As my Dad used to say, "boy don't crowd it!"
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.