lot numbers on hodgdon

nddodd

Just wandering if any of yall ever noticed a difference in speed loss or gain in lot changes on hodgdon powders, mainly h-1000

Last edited:
i guess it was a silly question but i dont have regular access to a chrony or i would figure it out myself just thought somone here would have tried it.

Just wandering if any of yall ever noticed a difference in speed loss or gain in lot changes on hodgdon powders, mainly h-1000
Yes. In fact, I was just having this conversation with John Porter of Morning Creek Outfitters a couple of days ago.

Advice to me: "Make sure you buy 8 pound jugs of Retumbo as the burn rate can vary enough that a grain or two off from lot to lot can change your velocity, and H1000 is worse."

The bad thing is,there is no way of knowing how good your load will be from lot to lot.I worked up a real good load off of a pound of IMR 7828,then went out and bought 8lbs,and could not get it to shoot worth a crap.I hope this does not happen on my next load I work up,that is a real waste of money when you buy 8lbs. of powder that you can't get to shoot. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That was my biggest worry about buying a 8 pound keg, thats alot of money to be out if it was not to shoot the same as the other lot. Thanks guys.

Well, the reality is you are b/w a rock and hard place.

1) you buy a pound, work up a load, go buy more in a 8 pound keg and get bad results, and you just wasted a lot of money.
2) you buy 8 pounds, try and work up a load, and if you do, great....you have plenty of powder left. If you don't, you just wasted money.

I think the advice given to me was to buy 8 pounds and work up from there and hope you get the load you are looking for. Of course, you can always switch bullets too. All is not lost, and Retumbo is a great powder, one of the best Hodgdon has ever come out with.

It's interesting that this thread came up. I emptied a pound last week, opened another pound and my groups opened up. I thought it was me.

This was with H-1000.

I shot 3 different lots of H1000 in competition last year. I did load development for each just like I was starting with a new powder still ended up with the same load all three times velocities within 20fps as well.
Guess I am just lucky.

James

Thanks guys for everyones advice on the subject so far. The main reason why i started this thread was, so far i have been lucky enough to by one pound jugs with the same lot, at least until the other day when i went to buy some no one had the lot i had. That is what had me worred maybe i will be lucky too and not have any problems.

Thanks Nathan.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.