Lost River's J36 terminal performance?

Re: Lost River\'s J36 terminal performance?

Yep, no argument they're having to fit the bbl very well. Liljas are pretty tight thus the LRB accuracy (in my rifle). Like I said the factory Win Coyote shot patterns instead of groups. I sent a box of J36 back to PA to a 1000 yd shooter. T'was a miserable failure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

but if a rifle can shoot them at enough velocity I'd be confident of shooting them at big game well beyond 500 yds.

ya know, it's nice to say that knowing that I never will. So I guess that is for what's it's worth.........

Peckerwood Magnum....

I gotta change that sig line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Just swapping a 338Win bbl for a 338 RUM bbl to see what the actual difference is between the two. I'm doing a self inflicted recoil managment and .338 cal evaluation just for my own experience.

The 338 Rum will get me through spring, summer and next elk season then if looks promising I'll go to a full accurized 338-300 or edge or Thunder or.....

[ QUOTE ]
oh hell Roy just get the 33 chevy tac and be done with it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, that was good humor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Pop,

Death Ray got it right about the .416 LRBs, weight and BC. I have shot them in my .416 wby, although it has been about 3 or 4 years ago. I killed both a moose and a mtn goat with them. They performed fine on the moose (shot it in the shoulder at close range) I was less than impressed with the performance on the goat however. At 360yds the bullet pretty much went straight through. I had a caliber sized entrance and exit. The goat ran 50 yards or so till I got him in the back of the head with my second shot. There was very little internal damage when we dressed the goat out.

The LRBs shoot ok, but Barnes 350grn TSXs shoot better, have a higher BC .521, cost less and seem to expand better. I still have about 30 rounds loaded with the LRBs that I keep intendending to just go shoot (or pull the bullets) to get my brass back into use.

I have also shot the LRBs in 338 cal, 200grn. I could not get them to shoot worth a toot for me out of three different rifles, all with custom barrels.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got mail

Dave,
can you explain the theory how the copper alloy is too hard to shoot accurately unless its a special barrel? I am a beginner in ballistics as I have been primarily an archer my whole life.
Again, I have only had awesome accuracy with them so I am kind of caught off gaurd with this response. How can a metal be too hard to shoot accurately?

Bubbas,when a conventional jacketed lead bullet gets pushed forward by the chamber pressure,it actually conforms,or gets swagged into the bore causing an exact fit.the lead is soft enough to allow this.a solid copper bullet on the other hand is not soft enough to do this.it will not expand to fit the bore and gases not only escape around them,usually they are escaping from one area at the muzzle as the bullet exits.if your bore diameter fits the diameter of the bullet perfectly,they will probably shoot very well.this is why barnes came out with the triple shock. the grooves are actually smaller than the groove dia of the barrels but the bands will fit almost any barrel as long as it's close to what it's supposed to be.the grooves also allow someplace for the copper to go as the bullet is engraving in the rifling.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.