Lost River's J36 terminal performance?

Death Ray 7

Lost River\'s J36 terminal performance?

Going on a moose hunt this fall in Newfoundland and I am wondering if anybody out there has used the J36 on anything elk sized or bigger? I'm curious how that particular bullet reacts to something the size of a moose. I know it's tough to find a load that shoots accurately but I'm willing to spend the money to find a load that works. Not a huge choice of bullets for my .358 STA.

Re: Lost River\'s J36 terminal performance?

Terminal effects on elk at various ranges including longrange have been good from local reports I've heard.

I have had no accuracy problems with them in 270 cal.

Thanks Roy. I just don't want the bullet to come apart if I have to take a quartering away shot. That's probably 5-6 ft of moose to penetrate to hopefully get an exit wound. I know the cartridge generates enough energy to get the job done if the bullet will hold together.

If anybody else out there has used it or heard of something, please post a message.

you will never have to worry about the J36 coming apart. They are known for their superior BC's and penetration. I have shot a couple elk and deer with them and bone doesn't stand a chance let alone traveling through a moose quartering away. For moose I'd stick with the J36 but for future info they just developed the J36-D which is the exact same bullet but with a Delron(polymer) tip. It is meant to start its expansion sooner and at lower velocities so I tend to think it will be a great long range bullet at lower velocities. I wish I had them to try on my last Coues deer hunt but shot him instead with the J36. Again, hit bone and dropped him in his tracks.

[ QUOTE ]
you will never have to worry about the J36 coming apart. They are known for their superior BC's and penetration. they just developed the J36-D which is the exact same bullet but with a Delron(polymer) tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

My only complaint w/the J36 is a) price, as I've been uncomfortable with shooting economical bullets all year then switching to J36s for the hunting season. Seems I should be a little more dedicated and become more comfortable with that arrangement. a 2)I've had to pull a couple of J36s with the inertial bullet puller (hammer type) the tip always became dislodged. Wondered about that.

Other than those two things which are pretty minor I've got along with them well.

Roy,
That's interesting because I have the RCBS puller and have had to pull a few bullets and have never had that happen, not to say that it couldn't, but that's the first time I've heard that. My friends and I have used them alot and no one has brought that up. How many times has it happened and if multiple times were they from the same box? Maybe something happened to that batch.
I just like them because for a hunting bullet I've never had anything come close to them in accuracy. I am no physicist or ballistician but I would attribute this to their incredible BC's. Roy, do you have any other recommendations in HUNTING bullets that match Lost River's (LRB) accuracy or has your experience been the same? I too am looking for that ultimate LONG range HUNTING bullet and so far this is the best I've found. I like the SMK and Berger but I still can't get the same pinpoint accuracy as the Lost River.

I do not mean to highjack but:

Can anyone post what type of 416 cal bullets they make and their BC/price? I can not access their web site. Thanx

POP- I didn't check price but they only list one bullet

350gr J36 hunting bullet with a BC of .514

Thanx buddy. From what I remember $2 a pop is about the norm......

Bubbas, you are the only person i have ever heard say a Lost River bullet will shoot better than anything else.their breakaway tip, flat nose design is great for short distances, but for long range, their poor accuracy and lack of expansion pretty much eliminate them from even being a consideration.

[ QUOTE ]
Bubbas, you are the only person i have ever heard say a Lost River bullet will shoot better than anything else.their breakaway tip, flat nose design is great for short distances, but for long range, their poor accuracy and lack of expansion pretty much eliminate them from even being a consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]
Breakaway tip? Flat nose design?? Don't understand. Looks to me as though they are the same as any other inserted tip whether metal or poly. The Tip is to initiate expansion.

In my 270 Win the J36 @3200 MV kept the groups at an inch or less at 200 yds. Shot them at some pretty good distances and maintained that accuracy.

Only shot one coyote with a J36. Behind the shoulder shot. Exit wound was size of a quarter.

Kirby explained to me why J36s and bullets of similar construction make it difficult to get ultimate accuracy. Seems as though its something to do with barrel tolerances and their hard construction.

They work great in my 27" Lilja but shoot patterns in a new Mod 70 that shoots Sierras into bug holes.

Lack of expansion at long range. Nah! Don't think so. But this depends on the definition of expansion. From the results of the locals and there are but few, boiler room shots out to 450 yds (max distance that I know of so far) expansion through ribs was great.

Trough shoulder bone at about the same distance, again bullet performance was as desired.

Most J36 kills that I'm aware of are with 7MM bullets.

In my book the only thing that eliminates them from consideration is $40 for 20.

Hence, I work up a load with Sierras, Hornady etc, confirm Wildcat bullet perfromance with that load,then use Sierra/Horn/etc for practice and drop chart development. I then use WCs to finalize the drop chart and any tme there is hair in the cross hair there's a WC in the chamber.

Roy, for shots out to 500 or so, use almost any hunting bullet that shoots well will probably work OK. he said hunting at long range. that is 600 and out for most on here.the trouble with solid copper bullets is they have to fit the bore perfectly in order to shoot well.it seems not many do this.i'm sure this is what Kirby was telling you.i have an 06 that is a good shooting hunting gun. it will print 1 inch with a couple of bullets at 200 yds. more or less, most of the time. i couldn't get LR's to shoot under 4" at 100 yds. EVER. the bullets i've shot into slate banks don't expand at all.the tip is gone and you're left with a single diameter flat nosed projectile that hasn't expanded at all.this is fine for killing animals at close ranges(out to 500)but for long range and the resultant low impact speeds, i don't know of any long range hunters that use them.

by the way Roy,what is a 338PWM?

Dave

I am glad you chimed in, I am in agreeance with you about the lrb's. They require a special bore that can not have any taper, and a certain diameter. Lawton barrels is the only ones that i know of that makes these special barrels. I have a hard time spending my money for a special barrel for a bullet that cost 1.5-2x the other premium bullets. That no one can (in general) get to shoot

They are a lot like the original x-bullets. Some barrels they work , most the don't

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifd-a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pop,

Death Ray got it right about the .416 LRBs, weight and BC. I have shot them in my .416 wby, although it has been about 3 or 4 years ago. I killed both a moose and a mtn goat with them. They performed fine on the moose (shot it in the shoulder at close range) I was less than impressed with the performance on the goat however. At 360yds the bullet pretty much went straight through. I had a caliber sized entrance and exit. The goat ran 50 yards or so till I got him in the back of the head with my second shot. There was very little internal damage when we dressed the goat out.

The LRBs shoot ok, but Barnes 350grn TSXs shoot better, have a higher BC .521, cost less and seem to expand better. I still have about 30 rounds loaded with the LRBs that I keep intendending to just go shoot (or pull the bullets) to get my brass back into use.

I have also shot the LRBs in 338 cal, 200grn. I could not get them to shoot worth a toot for me out of three different rifles, all with custom barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.