Lost River Technologies Bullets ?

JBT

Are the BC for there 7mm 160gr. and 6.5mm 120gr. bullets true [.715 for 7mm, .678 for 6.5mm] ?

JLK 6.5 140 has a BC of .630+ at $25/100

Clinch River 6.5 147 is higher yet but testing not competed $28/100

JLK 168 7mm BC of .690 at $26/100
JLK 180 7mm BC of .738 at $28/100

That is not counting Bergers, Carturuccio bullets etc. they are almost as high BC of the LRT bullets at a fraction of the cost and no one has said they could not get them to shoot more than acceptable groups.

Some people have had problems getting the LRT bullets to shoot. They brought the new 408 Chey tac gun with LR bullets, last year to Fort Bragg to show the SOF snipers and the best they could get it to shoot was 6" at 200 yards. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the LRT bullet or gun.

I do not know all the bugs going on with the LRT bullets, barrel twists etc, but at the cost per round compared to others I cannot see you are getting your $ worth, particularily if your setup does not work with LRT bullets. Doesn't the LRT bullets require twists much faster than normal LR twists, which means if the LRT bullets do not shoot, you have no other bullet to use in that barrel. Just seems to really box you in to one bullet that may or may not work for every gun. I am sure that will be worked out eventually, but right now who knows when or on whose $.

BH

I was at a gun show a couple of weeks ago and got the chance to see a 408 Chey tac.

They had a dummy round there to look at. Something about the appearance of the bullet, just didn't do it for me. IMHO, it looked like someone had taken an electrical ground rod, put it on a lathe and turned the bullets out of it.

The man selling the rifles wasn't too good on answering my questions either. Twice I ask him what size of groups he got at 1,000 yards. Both times he answered by telling me I would only need 12 MOA to go from 100 yards out to 1,000.

That's nice, but for +$7K, will the rifle hit what I'm shooting at?

After reading this posting I contacted LRT. I have a 1-9 twist .300 win mag and they said it probably would shoot the 200gr. match well. The fella there told me people are having problems with the bullets because of to slow a twist. But jeez. Who wants a 1-8 1/2 barrel? You might as well marry the company. Im tempted to get a couple boxes of the 200's to try. At $19.95/20 U.S. that sould be about $150.00 Cdn. right?

We'll I've decided to try out the J36 hunting variety in my 300 WM, and I talked to Warren, he indicated the 180gr would work fine in the 1:10 factory twist on my A-BoltII. Haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, but according to the ballistics numbers, they should extend my 'optimal' kill range for Elk by at least 200 hundred yards over scirroco's (optimal being a nebulous term).

Please don't confuse the J-36 hunting bullet, which is designed for a variety of twist rates with the J-40 target bullet, that is very twist specific.

We have no control of what people say at gun shows attempting to sell our product.

We do have documented proof of a 5 1/2" 3 shot group at 1531 yd.s, with a 408 CheyTac. Four, three shot groups were fired, total spread of All shots was 12". This with a J-40.

There has also been a record group at 2000 yd.s using a J-36 hunting bullet with a Warbird.

The .408 has shot MOA to 2700 Yd.s with a J-40.

The .408 will be at Williamsport, Pa. this year with more than one shooter.

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: Dave Durham ]

Dave,

Do you work for LRBT?
Do you know who uses them in matches, and wins? Why have the LRBT J40's not swept the LR competition world if they are as good as they're claimed to be, sincerely, never have understood why not?

Probably because no one a) wanted to spend that much $$$ on each bullet for something under .50 cal until they feel they've reached the limit of Sierras, and other semi-custom bullets from Berger, Cauterricio, etc. and/or b) conservative shooters hesitant to spend the $$$ on new bullets *and* a new barrel w/ twist rate sufficient to make them work. Some one has to lead the crowd, but I doubt many of the people shooting at that level want to lose because they were the guinea pig
wink.gif

Just a guess!

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.