Loss of Love for Leupold, New scope time.

Having just read this thread, I find it very amusing. Why does it have to be operator error? I personally have had several leupolds fail. Sure they have "fixed" them in the past - a few multiple times. I currently have a MK 4 that needs to go in. The reticle moves to the "right" as elevation is dialed in - sure makes it hard to call wind!! LOL...

I agree, we check to be sure what the problem really is....once it is what it is...resolve the issue. I was recently setting up a rifle and had a problem just bore sighting the scope. After doing every check I could think of I determined it was most likely the rail was machined improperly. I replaced the rail with a new one and like "magic" the scope bore sighted just fine.

If a rifle / scope system can't stand a week of hard hunting without coming unglued....why are we out there? Why should we accept that? I don't want to have to check zero during a hunt because it won't hold zero - much less disassemble and torque and loctite everything again because I might have bumped it ??.....then of course re-zero.....nope I want crap that zeros, tracks, and stays that way.....it can be done!! If SWFA can make a scope that holds zero for $300 what is leupold's excuse.....

I don't buy Leupold anymore....I've had enough personal experience to move on. Good luck to the OP!!
A recurring theme throughout the country. Perhaps many of those who don't have trouble zero the scope at their desired POI and leave it alone?? If you don't fiddle with the controls you'll never know about repeatability, tracking, or return to zero accuracy. Just saying... Not sure there is a near fool proof scope in an affordable price range anymore. Even the low end scopes that were around 30 - 40 years ago were better than many costing over $500 today. About the best you can ask for is to hold zero and allow hunters to see animal and crosshair at dawn and dusk with reasonably decent eye relief. It seems to be a crapshoot no matter what brand you buy.

I have owned em all except one... had issues with several.. failed tall target .. switched from nightforce because wanted better glass ... after s and b , zeiss v8 on down, Swarovski z8 I on down .. come home after 11 years .. sold all of them and bought nf nx8 2.5 x 20 .. never regretted a second.
Very happy .. so repeatable and good enough glass too... hunts are too expensive and much too hard to come by for chances.
Good luck!

Everyone has their own opinion, but so do I. My VX6 3-18 took a dump while on a hunt in Colorado so I know the feeling. I treat my equipment like it's gold because I pay a premium for it but I expect it to work when asked. That being said I like the NX8 and the MK5. Yes I own both before someone starts that reply. People love to complain like hell about the short eye box of the NX8, and yes it's smaller than some but people need to practice with their equipment. Quit moaning over the small things. There is no perfect one size fits all scope. However, the durability of NF is worth the smaller eye box in my opinion. The MK5 is a great scope but again in my opinion the glass isn't quite as good. Close but no cigar. Choose wisely.

Last edited: