Loss of Love for Leupold, New scope time.

If your zeroed at 200 like my rifles are and you wanna shoot 600 yards your gonna be dialing way more than 5 clicks no matter what mounts you have.
You misunderstood, I'm talking about mounting my Leupolds. Dialing in the field is what you are referring to and I don't dial at all just allow for conditions. When I was real keen I used to shoot benchrest one weekend and another in the field making it 2 targets and 2 field each month. Usually needed 50 cartridges per field trip. Never use more than 14x magnification .

Have had many Leupolds and felt they were good and the lifetime warranty was a plus. I had problem with one when clicked up 4" and clicked back to zero and it was still at almost 4". Sent in to Leupold and got it back with the test report all ok. Had another one that I bought new boosted. I was told Leupold will warranty them and they would warranty them also. On a very accurate heavy gun, when I cranked elevation up and back down to zero, it would move 3/4" right every time. I called the company that I bought it from and was told that was a common problem, easy to fix, but they were done with Leupold scopes and needed to send to Leupold. Called Leupold and they said they would not work on it because it had been boosted. I said oh, ok, thank you, 10 minutes later ordered a Nightforce and was happy ever since
What is boosted?

What is boosted?
A very reputable company would change the power of the scope - 14-35, 18-40,30-50. And would also change reticle to what was ordered. They worked with Leupold and Leupold still honored the warranty until something happened. Premier Reticles no longer repaired them and Leupold no longer warranties the scope if from Premier. I have an 18-40 and a 14-35.

Having just read this thread, I find it very amusing. Why does it have to be operator error? I personally have had several leupolds fail. Sure they have "fixed" them in the past - a few multiple times. I currently have a MK 4 that needs to go in. The reticle moves to the "right" as elevation is dialed in - sure makes it hard to call wind!! LOL...

I agree, we check to be sure what the problem really is....once it is what it is...resolve the issue. I was recently setting up a rifle and had a problem just bore sighting the scope. After doing every check I could think of I determined it was most likely the rail was machined improperly. I replaced the rail with a new one and like "magic" the scope bore sighted just fine.

If a rifle / scope system can't stand a week of hard hunting without coming unglued....why are we out there? Why should we accept that? I don't want to have to check zero during a hunt because it won't hold zero - much less disassemble and torque and loctite everything again because I might have bumped it ??.....then of course re-zero.....nope I want crap that zeros, tracks, and stays that way.....it can be done!! If SWFA can make a scope that holds zero for $300 what is leupold's excuse.....

I don't buy Leupold anymore....I've had enough personal experience to move on. Good luck to the OP!!

I have the ATACR for the very reason you said. Does Swaro have better glass? Sure...but NF to me was the best blend of sturdiness and optics quality. I'll sacrifice a few ounces to drastically reduce the chance that I miss due to the scope being off. None of the other stuff matters if it fails in the moment of truth.
I'm not sure I would say swaro has better glass. Clearly better than the nxs but my atacr for me is right with my swaros I've had.
As for durability nightforce is top of my list. But you pay for it in weight.
So my latest build has a 2.5-25 March on it. Can't say much on how tough it is cause it's still very new and hasn't even done a hunting season. But based on others suggestions I went that route and it seems very well built when in hand.

I had same issues with my vx6hd
Not trying to steal the thread and I know its no help, but WTH is with Leupold??????
They make as good as it gets set it and forget it scopes is it just internet BS or does it seem they just can not get the bugs out of their hunting scopes that are designed and meant to be dialed for long range shooting????
I own no less than 5 Leopold's and knock on Aldo's front door never had a single issue with a single one and have Beat TLS out of them.
Was saving for a VX5 3-15x44 but are going with a Zeiss CV4 instead, or save little longer and go with a V6.
Literally breaks my heart as I am a life long Leupold user and own Leupold bino's (first serious pair over 30 years ago) and Leupold LRF's.
Have been beating a dead horse for over a year researching tactical hunting scopes and my choices were down to between a VX5HD or ZCV4.
Going with the Conquest ZCV4.

Again my sincere apologies for my reply being a rant and devoid of help.

Having just read this thread, I find it very amusing. Why does it have to be operator error? I personally have had several leupolds fail. Sure they have "fixed" them in the past - a few multiple times. I currently have a MK 4 that needs to go in. The reticle moves to the "right" as elevation is dialed in - sure makes it hard to call wind!! LOL...

I agree, we check to be sure what the problem really is....once it is what it is...resolve the issue. I was recently setting up a rifle and had a problem just bore sighting the scope. After doing every check I could think of I determined it was most likely the rail was machined improperly. I replaced the rail with a new one and like "magic" the scope bore sighted just fine.

If a rifle / scope system can't stand a week of hard hunting without coming unglued....why are we out there? Why should we accept that? I don't want to have to check zero during a hunt because it won't hold zero - much less disassemble and torque and loctite everything again because I might have bumped it ??.....then of course re-zero.....nope I want crap that zeros, tracks, and stays that way.....it can be done!! If SWFA can make a scope that holds zero for $300 what is leupold's excuse.....

I don't buy Leupold anymore....I've had enough personal experience to move on. Good luck to the OP!!

Why are you so unlucky and I am so lucky with Leupold scopes? The scopes are same or similar but the result is so different. The best 100 yard 5 shot groups I have shot with a Leupold is .058" and the next group was ..062" These are slightly oval shaped one hole and the measurement was done by the official responsible for national competition. I think this verifies how clear they are.
At the risk of repeating myself, I built a field rifle in 1970 and fitted a Leupold and shot it every second weekend until 2018. I never had to adjust or touch anything as point of impact was rock solid.
I don't dial in but aim off for the conditions. There's too much going on out there to stuff around dialing in. There's tree leaves and grass to watch, changing light, elevation, mirage and how steady your can hold prone in rough conditions This I believe is the reason I'm getting good results from all my Leupolds. I do not sell scopes of any type or have an association with any firearm manufacturer. I hate to see a really good product get a bum wrap so had to write my experiences.

Not trying to steal the thread and I know its no help, but WTH is with Leupold??????
They make as good as it gets set it and forget it scopes is it just internet BS or does it seem they just can not get the bugs out of their hunting scopes that are designed and meant to be dialed for long range shooting????
I own no less than 5 Leopold's and knock on Aldo's front door never had a single issue with a single one and have Beat TLS out of them.
Was saving for a VX5 3-15x44 but are going with a Zeiss CV4 instead, or save little longer and go with a V6.
Literally breaks my heart as I am a life long Leupold user and own Leupold bino's (first serious pair over 30 years ago) and Leupold LRF's.
Have been beating a dead horse for over a year researching tactical hunting scopes and my choices were down to between a VX5HD or ZCV4.

Don't get overheated or overthink this thread. Every scope manufacturer has had issues. If you haven't had any, why be concerned. Keep tunnel vision in this case and focus on YOUR experiences, not others. Obviously your doing everything right and/or haven't had a bad one. My wife's never hit a deer in her car. I've hit 2 dozen. She doesn't stop driving because of my experiences. Don't overthink this thing.

Last edited:

DartonJager,i;m in almost the same boat,came to the same conclusion,VX5HD orZCV4,waiting on MTNRaine's results from Leopold.