Loss of Love for Leupold, New scope time.

I see you are new here so maybe take some time to understand the culture before coming in with the attitude. If not, you will find an argument follows many of your posts.
A friend and I bought 2 BBR Brownings in 7 mag back in 1980 and put Leupold 2 -7 scopes on them for moose hunting in the bush. My son now owns my friends rifle it is still very accurate. He even shoots gophers with it in his field with it off his back deck. Two years ago I finally took the 2-7 off mine and put on a vx3 4.5-14 with turrets on that was the same as the Leupold I had on my 2506 X-bolt. 40 years of using Leupold scopes and never an issue. We do most of our hunting horseback so those scopes have been packed in scabbards all over the mountains and prairies. My next scope will be a Leupold. By the way, my 40 yr old BBR Browning still shoots ,5 inch groups at 100 yds.

I apologize for getting your gender wrong, my assumption was in poor taste. However, I maintain the point that I made. Zeroing a rifle and then trashing through the mountains for a week and having a poi shift is a **** far site from evidence of a scope malfunction. In my experience, you are about a hundred times more likely to have moment in your rings or bases, or more specifically the screws that hold them together than the actual scope. You'd have to do some box testing or some test shooting before you could determine that the fault lies with the scope itself. What will you do when Leupold returns it and tells you that there is nothing wrong with the optic? Trash their customer service and sell it swearing to never purchase from them again? Now, if you re-zero the optic with all of your components torqued and while firing it begins to walk, then you might have an argument. It could be an ammunition problem. Some lots of factory ammunition can cause a poi shift as far as you've had. There are a dozen things that could have caused your problem. A muzzle brake could have spun loose a half turn. I have been playing this game all of my life, and I have seen way too much of this to believe the scope just decided to move on it's own, and you don't seem to have done nearly enough testing to be bashing the company. But hell, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I just wanted to know how you eliminated the other dozens of variables before you decided the problem was definitely in the scope. I've also seen people zero their rifle with a warm bore, and then their cold bore shots (in rare cases) will have a significant shift in poi. I apologize for being insulting, but I was really intrigued by your issue, as I own dozens of leupold optics including binos and spotters, and I've used them religiously for decades without any real issues, so if your issue is authentic, I want to know. Thank you
Just apologize and lay down and lick'em.

Long of the short, my VX6 HD took a dump at the moment of truth and I missed a 370" bull. Looking for something that can track, and handle the minor bumps of a mountain hunting rifle( I don't expect any scope to get tomahawked and hold zero) and maintain zero. Would prefer to keep it under 28 oz... I know its nothing special and the glass in the VX6HD is much better but my 6-24 gen1 one PST has never failed me in 7 years of hard mountain hunting and its had its fair share of accidental spills(like falling down the mountain with it strapped to my pack) and never shifted more than an inch off zero after even the biggest mishap on the mountain. So basically looking for the reliability and weight I've experienced with that scope but looking to upgrade to better glass and turrets while not being heavy. I've looked at the Zeiss v4&v6 The Mark 5, NX8 and a few others. I want at least 18 if not more 20-25 on the top end. What lighter scopes have you guys had good luck with and recommend? I'll give up a little in glass for durability but it would be nice to have my cake and eat it too.
I still love my Leupolds and do not suffer changing point of impact if the rifle is assembled properly. I had so much confidence in my knock around hunting rifle that never had to check zero before a hunt.

Pretty much normal. I've owned leupold my entire life and same. I suppose if I had the same issue as the OP, I'd probably have zero confidence in the scopes also. Doesn't mean leupold are problematic, just means she had a bad one. I've dropped, landed on and had impacts to my Leupolds and they never lost zero. Leupold will stand behind their scopes even if their customers won't. Leupold won't suffer losing a few customers to a defective or bad scope. They will repair it or replace it and if the customer doesn't stick with them as customers, so be it. Doesn't make them bad or cheap scopes. Every scope manufacturer has had this type of thing happen. For her, it was with a Leupold. Next time It could be a NightForce. No scope manufacturer is without these problems.

I still love my Leupolds and do not suffer changing point of impact if the rifle is assembled properly. I had so much confidence in my knock around hunting rifle that never had to check zero before a hunt.
Have had many Leupolds and felt they were good and the lifetime warranty was a plus. I had problem with one when clicked up 4" and clicked back to zero and it was still at almost 4". Sent in to Leupold and got it back with the test report all ok. Had another one that I bought new boosted. I was told Leupold will warranty them and they would warranty them also. On a very accurate heavy gun, when I cranked elevation up and back down to zero, it would move 3/4" right every time. I called the company that I bought it from and was told that was a common problem, easy to fix, but they were done with Leupold scopes and needed to send to Leupold. Called Leupold and they said they would not work on it because it had been boosted. I said oh, ok, thank you, 10 minutes later ordered a Nightforce and was happy ever since

A friend and I bought 2 BBR Brownings in 7 mag back in 1980 and put Leupold 2 -7 scopes on them for moose hunting in the bush. My son now owns my friends rifle it is still very accurate. He even shoots gophers with it in his field with it off his back deck. Two years ago I finally took the 2-7 off mine and put on a vx3 4.5-14 with turrets on that was the same as the Leupold I had on my 2506 X-bolt. 40 years of using Leupold scopes and never an issue. We do most of our hunting horseback so those scopes have been packed in scabbards all over the mountains and prairies. My next scope will be a Leupold. By the way, my 40 yr old BBR Browning still shoots ,5 inch groups at 100 yds.
I have nothing against Leupold scopes...my comment was about his attitude.

I do agree that we oftentimes will blame the scope when it is caused by the mounts, a jar or something else like the gun. One of my guns that has an AAC suppressor was shooting all over. Turns out the issue was the latch on the suppressor was bad and was causing a POI shift with each shot. I try to test all aspects of the system, mount, rifle etc. before blaming the scope. Switching to a known scope will oftentimes tell you if it is the scope or something else.

Long of the short, my VX6 HD took a dump at the moment of truth and I missed a 370" bull. Looking for something that can track, and handle the minor bumps of a mountain hunting rifle( I don't expect any scope to get tomahawked and hold zero) and maintain zero. Would prefer to keep it under 28 oz... I know its nothing special and the glass in the VX6HD is much better but my 6-24 gen1 one PST has never failed me in 7 years of hard mountain hunting and its had its fair share of accidental spills(like falling down the mountain with it strapped to my pack) and never shifted more than an inch off zero after even the biggest mishap on the mountain. So basically looking for the reliability and weight I've experienced with that scope but looking to upgrade to better glass and turrets while not being heavy. I've looked at the Zeiss v4&v6 The Mark 5, NX8 and a few others. I want at least 18 if not more 20-25 on the top end. What lighter scopes have you guys had good luck with and recommend? I'll give up a little in glass for durability but it would be nice to have my cake and eat it too.
Interesting! I just listen to a pod cast from Leupold today with Jim Shocky on it and he was saying how he has used leupold scopes for 45 years and has never had one fail him. He said he wasn't being paid to say that. I would send it back and find out what went long. Life time warranty. JMO.

So, here's the thing: the OP came in here bashing leupold, swears he's done with them, and the scope is gone for repairs, but there have been a dozen people asking for clarification and he will not respond. He's been reading these comments all day and refuses to tell us what actually happened. This entire conversation has been a waste of time, because only one person knows what actually happened, and he refuses to tell us. He probably works for Barska and just wanted to stir the pot or something. I'm done wasting my time coming back to see if he is going to tell us that he takes it off of his rifle to drive in his tent poles with, and then has a poi shift when he puts it back in the rings.
My sentiments also, since he has posted the same post on other forums including Snipers Hide. Another is how to measure a 370" bull you missed, unless you fast like gwasshoppa?

Recent Posts