Loss of Love for Leupold, New scope time.

Also a former sniper, and the army is using leupold mark 8 scopes now on their 210 system. They've always used leupold, and if you witnessed what I did, you'll agree that they make tanks. You can break anything, but they don't have a durability problem. They make tactical models meant to be abused, and then they make lightweight hunting scopes. You can't compare an actar to a vx6. You'd rightly compare an actar to a mark5 or a mark6. Those are scopes meant to withstand abuse. They are heavy and rugged.
Exactly

These are a very nice scope that are built in Japan and have excellent reviews. Glass is made in Japan by LO, Light Optics. Same company that makes Nightforce glass. I have a couple of this model and couple of their other models and am thoroughly impressed. I also run some NF SHV scopes and Bushnell
Elite tactical but at the price these are in clearance for you can't go wrong.

Have you considered the Swarovski X5i? Can't go wrong with swarovski's weight and glass, and the X5i tracks as well as most in its price bracket. I've never had an issue with Swarovski toughness in my years of hunting, but it's pretty obvious they can't compete with something much heavier, like an ATACR or PMII. But it'll track, has incredible glass, and meets your weight requirement, and in my experience (1 elk season with one, in 2017) it didn't fail me. I had and would still have complete confidence in it if I still had it.

Long of the short, my VX6 HD took a dump at the moment of truth and I missed a 370" bull. Looking for something that can track, and handle the minor bumps of a mountain hunting rifle( I don't expect any scope to get tomahawked and hold zero) and maintain zero. Would prefer to keep it under 28 oz... I know its nothing special and the glass in the VX6HD is much better but my 6-24 gen1 one PST has never failed me in 7 years of hard mountain hunting and its had its fair share of accidental spills(like falling down the mountain with it strapped to my pack) and never shifted more than an inch off zero after even the biggest mishap on the mountain. So basically looking for the reliability and weight I've experienced with that scope but looking to upgrade to better glass and turrets while not being heavy. I've looked at the Zeiss v4&v6 The Mark 5, NX8 and a few others. I want at least 18 if not more 20-25 on the top end. What lighter scopes have you guys had good luck with and recommend? I'll give up a little in glass for durability but it would be nice to have my cake and eat it too.
I think every manufacturer can have a bad or weak unit. I only put Leopold's on hunting rifles and use other for target. Cuz their the only <28 ozs scope that you can get with a mil reticle ffp illumination. Though they could look to Athlon and Vortex for a reticle upgrade.

I've runMarch 3-24x52 on my packer 5 years now Like most about it but my parallax is picky and it losses sharpness past 20 I really like my Mark 5 really clear but size larger than I would like on packer 5-25x56. The old Leupold spent years on 340 and now on my 325 wsm

Attachments

• 6FDF1618-7408-4C87-901C-FAA675B98497.jpeg
    6FDF1618-7408-4C87-901C-FAA675B98497.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
So, here's the thing: the OP came in here bashing leupold, swears he's done with them, and the scope is gone for repairs, but there have been a dozen people asking for clarification and he will not respond. He's been reading these comments all day and refuses to tell us what actually happened. This entire conversation has been a waste of time, because only one person knows what actually happened, and he refuses to tell us. He probably works for Barska and just wanted to stir the pot or something. I'm done wasting my time coming back to see if he is going to tell us that he takes it off of his rifle to drive in his tent poles with, and then has a poi shift when he puts it back in the rings.
OK FIRST off SIR:rolleyes: it's SHE. Hi my name is Calli, I'm not just some stupid dude on the internet puffing my chest out and running my mouth, but it appears a few on here are that way because they cant apparently read.. I am sorry that I can't just drop everything and immediately respond. I have been trying to keep tabs on it so I know what to respond to and whose just flapping their jaws. Responding takes time some time for some of us. Yesterday when I started this post I had a 20 min cycle time between parts where I could respond and keep up, today not so much. I don't work for any optics manufacturer and but have worked in the firearms industry in manufacturing, so I'm not some oblivious newbie. I am machinist so I'm just not talking out my hat, and trying to make people butthurt. There is a post on the 2nd page, with a picture of a TARGET explaining things, what more do you want to know? I have nothing to hide and nothing to gain from "stirring the pot" so maybe pop a midol and chill buddy. The scope Failed to hold zero there's a target to prove it. I don't use my rifle as a boat paddle or a hammer, but given your attitude I could see you being that type.

Last edited:
You pays your money and you take what the roulette wheel of life deals you at the time of shooting..... We all have great tales of disaster and success..... I have had good fortune with Steiener's (two) and Sightron S3's (three) big game hunting in the High Unita's and varmint hunting/target shooting.

Sightron 👍

Anxious to hear what they say. I run a vx6 and a couple vx5hds and haven't had an issue but that's not to say I couldn't have one in the future.

Sucks about the bull!
I will keep you and others who have been polite updated when I hear something from Leupold. It's a bummer about the bull for sure but we all get unlucky at times while hunting, just is a really big bummer when it's not your fault.

Avoid Zeiss like Covid 19....the recoil from my 300 RUM caused all the internals in my last Zeiss to break loose and rattle around inside the tube.
I owned two Zeiss conquests close to 20 years ago. Glass was superb. Tracking was iffy.