Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Beach

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

I can't express enough, the appreciation I have for both you guys. The install guide, the extra pics and patient answers you both give is great.

I too am prepping for the hunting season. These days I have time for hunting something year round, and now archery elk is almost here. Crossbows are illegal in Idaho, but being a disabled vet allows me a waiver.

I have also just replaced the strings and cables, and losing this biscuit was my final upgrade to the whole unit. I just use my M4 lower which has most every enhancement already, so I sorta rebuilt the whole upper this go round. I should be able to start tuning in another day or so.

Anyway, I say again, thanks to you both. And, jon.henry, those pictures were perfect about the timing cord placement.

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

Hi djdcsi,
Russ and I work pretty well together as a tag team, since we both have a little experience with these crossbows. Truth be told, Russ has much better documentation than I have. Usually, when i can't find certain articles, I generally ask him where they are, since he's much more well organized than I am. :)

My last note for you tonight is; keep in mind that as you move forward with this modification, it will require a number of complete re-tuning steps that until finished, the crossbow will not perform the way it did with the Whisker Biscuit.

DO NOT get frustrated, because when everything is finished, it will not only shoot much better, but it will also not lose its accuracy due to rest wear or movement. The rest will also not be affected by temperature changes affecting the stiffness of the bristles. You will also need to re-center your scope to insure that before you adjust the center position of your nocking point and QAD Arrow Rest alignment, that your scopes vertical and horizontal adjustments have been returned to their exact center positions. This is done by counting the total number of clicks for each adjustment and then bring each to their center by splitting the total number of clicks in half.

Once the scope has been brought to it's true center alignment, then only use the elevation and windage adjustments on your QAD Rest to get yourself on dead center at 20 yards. I use a white marking pen and place white dots or lines on my QAD Bracket to track my adjustment alignments. This allows me to make see exactly how much I'm moving my adjustments each time I tweak the rest. Once either adjustment is exactly where I want it, I use a Q-Tip with some denatured alcohol on it to erase all the markings and then I make just one new one on each part of the bracket, so I can now see the final alignment.

If you were to need a very tiny amount of additional movement in elevation or windage to be in the exact center of a 1" dot at 20 yards, then use your scopes elevation or windage adjustment to achieve the final setting.

Next, move to 50 yards and repeat this exercise. If your center shot alignment is correct, you will only have to change your elevation setting, but your windage will still be dead center.

If this is not the case, you must paper tune your crossbow before proceeding any further. Once paper-tuned, repeat the above process.

Regards,

Jon

Jon & Buzzard:

Just a final word on my end results. I replaced the cables, strings, etc. also. I followed all of your advice to the letter. Installation and setup was a piece of cake following your excellent instructions and advice. I set up using levels on all surfaces also, the same as was in your photo. After which, while tuning the only adjustments required was the elevation setting of the rest to finalize a 20 yd. zero between the bow and my scope (which is mounted 3.5" above center bore). From the start, it was even tearing perfect circles in paper with a bare shaft, which I never expected.

I'm loving the QAD rest, and highly recommend this mod. IMO, the biscuit is Stone Age technology compared to this rest. I only wish I'd done it years ago! The bow has taken 2 elk, a deer, bear and a coyote. With the Optimizer & QAD rest installed it is so much better than "out of the box" that it's night vs day. Thanks go out to you guys and this site for the vast amount of great info and advice.

Dave

Hi djdcsi,
You are more than welcome and I'm pleased to hear you've attained the same type of results that Russ and I have been telling so many other TAC owners about.

Good hunting and we're always here if needed.

Regards,

Jon

djdcsi (Dave),

Thank you for posting your results! It is nice to know another TAC shooter is getting better performance from his bow! Glad we could help.

Hope you get some more elk steaks this season. :)

Regards,

Buzzard Bait

Is there a picture available of the rail modification that allows other than pse's 4 fletched arrows?
Thanks.
Del Pittman
Whitney, Texas

Hi dbot66,

There are photos in post number 7 of the thread Tac 15/ Tac 15i Weaver Rail Modification Steps on page 3 of this forum.

This article, written by jon.henry755 is the how to for modifing your scope rail! You should read it from the beginning.

Regards,

Buzzard Bait

Hi Russ,
Thanks for saving me the time and work of looking up the information you outlined.

When you have a moment send me an e-mail and let me know how the hunting season has been progressing for you so far?

I'll send you so recent pictures on my activity.

Stay well and thanks again.

Regards,

Jon

Thanks, BB. Appreciate the help.
Del

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.