Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Beach

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

Andy,
How do you modify the weaver rail so I can shoot 3 fletch?

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

Jon
I can't find the article on the weaver mod.

DJRSR,

The article is seven threads down in this forum. The title is TAC15/15i Weaver Rail Modification Steps.

Regards,
rmbeach

Hi DJRSR,
Now that you've received all necessary photo's to support the step-by-steps, please finish your posts to this thread. We have a difficult time when it's left open ended, because people think you never received the support you were asking for or as though the modification didn't work as stated.

There are sometimes thousands of people that read these posts and they are considering the same thing you were, so they need to know weather these instructions actually work as written?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jon

The weaver rail mod. worked out perfect. I can now shoot 3 fletct just fine. thank you DJRSR

Another one bites the dust! Thanks DJRSR.

What I'm really interested in hearing is when you're shooting your crossbow this season, please keep us abreast on how your arrows are now grouping.

It's been my assertion that getting rid of the impact to a shooters vanes from coming in contact with the under side of the Upper Weaver Rail should yield some performance improvements, since the launch cycle will now be much cleaner.

Regards,
Jon Henry

I have just received a new QAD mount from the LRH store here. Trying to install it today, I think that it will require a spacer of at least 1/8" minimum. I do have an old bow. It was one of the very first PSE shipped, as I preordered it at PSE's very first, original, Shot Show debut. After a few thousand shots I'm upgrading everything I can.

The mount does have a machined area which I can see is different from the pictures here, but it is still insufficient to clear my riser. I say this just as an FYI.

I've pre-read everything I can find on installing this, and already I'm hitting speed bumps. I'm sure I'll have further questions after I make a sufficient spacer if you guys are still here!

Hi djdcsi,

Yes, we are still here.

Your FYI interests me a lot. I have a new (to me) QAD mount that I haven't installed yet. Photo below. It is .50" thick as compared to the original mount that is about .475" thick. I've had it several months, just haven't tried to install it yet.

AUT_0966.jpg

Can you attach some photographs of your bracket?

Regards,

Buzzard Bait (rmbeach)

Hi djdcsi,
I'm going to suggest that you contact Frank at Archery Unlimited because as I had understood it, Frank had slightly modified the original mounting bracket late last year to insure a spacer was no longer necessary when mounting the bracket to older PSE TAC Crossbows.

The second adjustment that was also included in the bracket modifications was that the center-line of the bracket was moved about 1/4" to the left if you are looking at the bracket. This was because his original alignment was off center by that amount, to the right.

By calling Frank and discussing your problem with him, he'll know if the bracket you've received is one of his newer ones or if by chance it's an older one.

I just recently switched my original prototype QAD Ultra Rest Bracket to his latest one that I'm referring to because mine was so old, that as I said, it was a prototype version that wasn't even andonized. The installation went smoothly without any problems, but one the rest is on, it must be adjusted, leveled and then paper tuned to insure your crossbow is actually shooting straight, both vertically and horizontally.

Regards,

Jon

Sorry, Franks number is: 866-670-8511. If you find out that you have the wrong bracket, I'm sure Len or Andy can replace yours with a new one.

Hi djdcsi,

Yes, we are still here.

Your FYI interests me a lot. I have a new (to me) QAD mount that I haven't installed yet. Photo below. It is .50" thick as compared to the original mount that is about .475" thick. I've had it several months, just haven't tried to install it yet.

View attachment 11754

Can you attach some photographs of your bracket?

Regards,

Buzzard Bait (rmbeach)

It seems that I do indeed have the correct, newest mount. As previously stated, this bow was among the first produced. It has no serial number. The mount measures .5".

Ref. the pictures. I originally added an 1/8" spacer, and although you can't tell by the pic, there is actually about .005" clearance there. Not that much, barely allows light through! I decided I would like to have more, so I added the 2ed 1/8" spacer. This is where I am as of now. Next is to determine the placement of the timing cord.

Attachments

• QAD1.jpg
    QAD1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 116
  • QAD2.jpg
    QAD2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 105

Hi djdcsi,
To get the proper placement of the Timing Cord, it's best to use a little bit of White Out made for corrections on paper for ink or markers. By placing a White Out mark on your "Down Cable" you can easily track as you crank the crossbow back to its full draw position, where the Timing Cord will end up relative to the cam on that side.

Russ and I have found the tie in point to be almost up against the bumper rod on that side of the crossbow. Here are some pictures that should help.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 118

Hi djdcsi,

Thanks for your input and photos. I measured my old bracket and shim thickness and found they total .675" so the new bracket thickness of .50" isn't enough to clear the QAD bracket as you pointed out. The first photo in the installation instructions is of my current setup and I have only 1/16" QAD bracket clearance.

I had mentioned to jon.henry755 I haven't made this switch yet and after seeing your photos I'll wait until next summer to do so. I don't have time to change cables, string and start over with the QAD bracket before hunting season begins. My current setup works well, so I'll just change my cables and string at this point.

Thanks again for your info!

Keep us up to date on your progress and let us know if you need any assistance.

Regards,

Buzzard Bait

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.