Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Beach

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

The etched scales are also great for anytime you need to make minor tuning adjustments. They allow you to gauge exactly how much you are adjusting any moving parts and they also make it a snap to move things back to their original position if you over adjust a setting.

Once all tuning is finished we can make a note of these final scale positions, so it's very simple to put these settings back if anything ever comes loose or shifts due to bumping or damage.

This could save hours or days of re-tuning effort if everybody just took the time to record each of their settings on their crossbows. It makes replacing worn components quick and painless.

Jon

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

i have learned a lot from this forum and hopefully i can contribute some helpful info in return, i am looking to shoot bullet holes out to 200+ yrds and know some people that have taken it further than that on targets, for owning this bow for less than 3 months and being able to go to 160 yrd is something spectacular AND it still has enough energy to bury an arrow over 2" deep in a solid telephone pole after bouncing off dirt... remember i said i had some misfires??? .... thats why the rest change, i have had so mant probs with this bow limbs breaking, strings coming apart, wisker biscut wearing too much, i have over 3000 shots in this bow, i have been talking with the PSE rep and he has taken care of me so far and alwats asking what i have come up with next... hmmm havent even gotten to the rear stock nor the trigger, the arrows for this bow suck nuts and am waiting for good arrows from someone.

anyways lets keep the good constructive comments coming.

michael coleman
(sangerboats)

Hi sangerboats,
If you are looking for an arrow that out performs anything else I've seen, I would suggest you take a serious look at the Aerobolt II's from "Firenock. These arrows are made from bleeding edge technology that surpasses anything we have available to us in this country today.

Mind you, they are not cheap, but they are incredibly straight, accurate, uniform construction and made with unparallelled quality and materials. For the TAC15's there are two versions available. There is an Aerobolt 250 that uses a machined Aluminum insert and one that uses a Stainless Steel Insert.

The Stainless is a heavier material, so it will cost you a little bit of speed, but produces enough extra Kinetic Energy to easily take down the largest big game animals anywhere in the world. There's some great information and reading material on the manufactures website, so I'd suggest checking out their products section.

Here is a link to the website and it should take you directly to the Aerobolt 2 arrows: Bolts for Crossbow

If you have another arrow that you believe is in a similar class to what I'm suggesting above, I'd love to hear about them since I've performed most of the bench testing and evaluation for the majority of the after market products that have been advertised for these crossbows. Myself and one or two other members, like Super 91, have fully equipped testing facilities that allow us to easily analyze the good and bad points of these offerings. We've made it our business to share the results with our other members in an effort to insure people are getting the best produc recommendations without having to waist time or money on products that don't live up to the manufactures statements and hype.

Regards,

Jon

i have Dorge's firenocks in all my arrows, i am going to have to try 3 of his arrows but wow they are pricy, between you Jon, super 91, and many others with this talent, we could really take this bow to a new level of accuracy, i have some of the testing equipment but lack a few tools that would be helpful, coming from an engineering to manufacturing background, the engineer in me is always searching to make a great product even greater ( most dials go to level 10... my dials make it past 11)...., :D.

i read on here of all the problems people are having and have dealt with them all plus more, some are having trouble with scope settings, i have found that on my bow from the factory that the rail the scope mounts on was actually 1/2 degree to the left and my scope was running out of adjustment, disassembled the whole bow and rebuilt it squaring and checking all the way through, i now have both windage and elevation centered with plenty of adjustment both ways, squared head to rail, leveled cams (no downward slope) i have found that after 60 yards things get very critical, but if things are built right and time taken to align things properly there is no reason we cant have stacked arrows at 160+ yardages, so far i am target shooting and would not think of trying a shot on any animal that far away but man this thing is a ball being able to hit dots at that kind of distance.

Hi sangerboats,
Like you I come from an engineering background, so good is never good enough to suit me. I know from experience that Super 91 and a few others have the same mind set, so we're always pushing the limits.

We've tried over the past year to stress to other TAC15/15i owners just how important it is to get everything on these crossbows properly squared and aligned, if they intend on achieving extreme accuracy at extended ranges.

It's sad that the manufactures don't use good alignment techniques during the manufacturing process, but we've all seen what can be achieved when this is corrected. Once you have your crossbow tuned and arrows matched for tight grouping at 100 yards, getting out to longer distances is only a matter of fine tuning tweaks and getting the right whether with no wind.

When it comes to target versus hunting, I don't believe a 100 plus yard shot is unethical. I believe it all depends on your area, how open the shot is and in who's performing the shot. Clearly for the average hunter it's not something that should be attempted, but for those who shoot often enough and who've tuned their equipment correctly, I believe it can be done consistently with confidence.

The arrow shafts that we were talking about do not come from this country, they come from Japan or Korea. A little research into their carbon making process would yield the fact that these countries are producing carbon fishing rods these days that sell for over $20,000. American dollars due to the extreme cutting edge technology and high end material costs to be able to produce carbon of this quality.

These same manufacturers produce the blank carbon shafts used in the Aerobolt II arrows, so they're not over priced for what you are buying. The more you learn about the engineering, research and technology that goes into these arrows the more you can appreciate the end product.

These arrow shafts use a special insert to guarantee perfect balance and alignment of the point system on the front end of the arrow, so it eliminates a whole series of front end potential problems.

Like you, I have close to 3,000 shots through my TAC15i and since starting I've destroyed about 3 or 4 shafts. This was due to using the factory PSE Nocks and having them split the carbon on the arrows back end or from trying to shoot groups at less than 60 yards. Therefore, although I've changed my fletching numerous times to experiment with different vane configurations, I don't go through many arrows. This makes it possible to purchase and hang onto a good set of arrows for quite a while.

I've learned that the stock PSE TAC15 arrow shafts are only capable of taking things so far and then I would need a better, straighter, more uniform shaft to attain the next level of accuracy. Until very recently there were no options in this area, so we waited and prayed for somebody to produce that option. Now, at least we have it available for the discriminating few who believe "good enough", just won't cut it!

Jon

well said jon, seems like we are on the same page, these factory arrows are not up to par for what i am looking to do, thank you for directiong me to the aerovane's i will be trying thoes after what you have said, i need to see for myself ... the engineer in me showing again..., i have been messing with a lot of things with this bow only to find out like all of you have, that the biscut and the arrows are the weakest link in this bow.

as for hunting i have had so many problems that i am actually afraid to hunt with it still, when i get things to my liking then i will take it to the woods. most everyone has heard of oneida bows and the controversy with them, i have shot one for almost 10 years now, in the beginning i had a lot of problems with it and soon learned that if set up right it will stay that way for a very long time, literally i have had not one thing go wrong with that bow in over 6 yrs other than normal maintenance, have shot numerous deer and bear and even a squirrel or chipmunk once in a while, when this TAC is set up right i know i can have the same consistency time after time and when i get there then its time to go culling the herd. but until then i am having a ball shooting a bow well over 100 yrds. and learning new things every time i stick my nose in this site, thank you.

gotta get back to work on this QAD rest bracket.

thanks,
michael.

The etched scales are also great for anytime you need to make minor tuning adjustments.
Definitely.

Once all tuning is finished we can make a note of these final scale positions, so it's very simple to put these settings back if anything ever comes loose or shifts due to bumping or damage.
I go a little bit further, due to the work it takes to get any bow tuned.
For what it is worth (free-advice and all). :rolleyes:

I get out a dial-micrometer and take several measurements (left & right and up & down) as to where the arrow is sitting in regards to non-movable parts on the bow. If necessary, I will sometimes use a straight edge (ruler/rod) to extend off the non-movable part. Making note of it's use with the written-down measurements.

Having those additional measurements helps when one changes the style/type of arrow rest. You can quickly get close to center-shot / tuned with a different type of arrow-rest since you can adjust the arrow to sit where it was with the previous arrow-rest.

From experience, this extra-measuring has paid-off when a arrow-rest broke during a deer-hunting trip and had to be removed and rebuilt. The removal was such that any markings on the rest itself where questionable at best.

Signed: Have dial-micrometer will go hunt'n... :D

Well stated points!

This is exactly why the most knowledgeable Xbow shooters just keep getting better. They keep eliminating as many of the variables as possible and always take things down to a precise science of measurements.

In any shooting sport, this is what separates the men from the boys.

Keep the great advice coming and a happy holidays to all!

Jon

I'm installing the QAD drop away rest on my Tac15I and have hit a snag.

I'm ready to serve the Timing Cord but don't see how it will clear the cam or the string stopper rod. There is little clearance of the cable and the cam but even less clearance from the string stopper and the cable. When I add the cord and serving I beleive the serving will rub and wear quickly.

What am I doing wrong?

Mike

HI Luv2turn,

You are not doing anything wrong. You are correct when you stated there is little clearance from the cam and the string stop rod. But , there is enough!

Look closely at the photgraphs and instructions in the section in red titled "Timing cord attachment was my next step and is different than the instructions included with the QAD rest". If you mark a point about 1/8" from the string stop rod with the string against the stops, you should have enough clearance to serve the Timing Cord to the cable and clear the rod and the cam.

With the SAFETY on, you may check this by drawing the string to the full draw position and looking at where your mark is in relation to the cam. The important thing to remember is that the Timing Cord should not move or slip after it is seved to the cable.

Serve the Timing Cord to the cable before trying to adjust the Timing Cord with the rest in the 90 degree up position. The fork will actually rotate past 90 degrees, but the extra movement is not needed.

If you have any problems PM me your phone number and I will call to help you.

Best Regards,

Russ

Hi Craig and Russ,
Russ is a mind reader when he's not doing QAD Rest Installs, so he's beaten me to the punch. If you both look at your e-mails you'll see that I just finished trying to set up this interface between you two.

Craig, Russ has your number and please follow everything he's asking you to do to the letter. I'll be here if there's any additional support need, but Russ wrote the book on this one, so you're in great hands.

Regards,

Xbow755

Thanks for the quick replies. I will get my dealer to serve in the cord this morning.

Mike

PS: I don't know how to "PM". Where do I find email addresses on this site?

My dealer was unavailable because he had the audacity to go to IL for the week to hunt.

I served the cord myself with help from "bowtuningtips.com" and everything is fine.

In the meantime, both John and Russell have contacted by phone or email to offer additional assistance.

Can't express how much I appreciate all the help.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.