loose expander ball?

Nicholas

Hi I decided to use the expander ball for the first time. I was a bit difficult to get the expander ball centered with the case. After I was all done sizing my brass and I pulled the die out of the press I noticed the rod with the expander was loose and wobbled back and forth, but then I got to thinking that it was probably better to have it loose anyway.

What do you guys think?

I agree with you completely.

I ALWAYS leave mine loose if I have to use one, it will never be centered in any of my dies if tightened... no matter what position, no matter what anyone says...

If you can see it's off center with your eyball it's off by several thou "at least".

With the shellholder perfectly perpendicular it can't do anything "but" cause runout if it isn't centered... If the case neck is already centered and the extractor grove perpendicular to this the "loosened" and now floating expander will follow on center... given even neck thickness and hardness. Of course the locked down expander stem relies on the same thickness and hardness too.
smile.gif

Now the question going through my mind is; was the rod loose the whole time, or when did it come loose. I think I will leave the brass the way it is.

I don't like using expander balls, the only reason I am now is because the largest bushing you can buy is .001 too small, and the expander puts it exactly where I want it at .337 for my 338 Lapua.

[ 05-05-2003: Message edited by: sr90 ]

Been there, done that with my Ultra Mag. Turned a couple thou off the necks down to .014" to make the bushing work, cost me some time but no money. Now they work in my FL sizing die and give perfect tension with no expander in it either. Worked out perfect, glad I did it even more now.
smile.gif
I'm getting .002" expansion when I seat the bullet now... just what I wanted.
smile.gif

That's a pretty good solution! You get rid of the expander and uniform the neck, not a bad idea at all. I am going to see how the expander works out.

I agree with leaving the Expander nut loose on the dies equipped with a threaded post. The only dies I have seen that are centered while being tight are Hornady dies which use a collet setup. I must be having deja vu!! I could have sworn this discussion was in the previous topic about case neck thickness!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts