looong barrel. Shoulder sling problems.

I re-barreled the STW with a 30"magnum contour Hart barrel. It's a bit top heavy to throw over the shoulder and head up the mountain. What methods are you using for carrying the big ones?
Thank you,
T

This may not be the answer you're looking for but when I'm carrying a barrel heavy rifle I just strap it to my pack.
I've also had success with the claw rifle sling installed on a rail with a QD mounted as far forward as I can get it.
McMillan makes my favorite rail, maybe mounting one far forward could help?

I have a Vorn pack with the QD rifle holder. Works great with my 27" + brake, 13 lb rifle. Much nicer than carrying the rifle slung.

Attachments

• 20191122_093814.jpg
    20191122_093814.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 222
I use the biathlon sling mentioned above for when I am hunting without a pack, I do also own and use the Kifaru Gun Bearer for use with my pack. I do use the Kifaru more than anything. The long barrel does stick out in front of my face a little but it also makes for a steady rest for my binoculars when I stop and glass for a few minutes.

I re-barreled the STW with a 30"magnum contour Hart barrel. It's a bit top heavy to throw over the shoulder and head up the mountain. What methods are you using for carrying the big ones?
Thank you,
T

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.