Looking to Upgrade Rangefinder

Leica is legit. I have the 3200.com lrf bino and kestrel 5700 link. The bino will run solutions to 1000 and after that you need the kestrel if you want data displayed in your lrf. If you don't care for the heads up display you can just use your app. My 3200 is ranging mountain sides at 3350. I'd def get the 2800 or 3500.
Btw- I've had leica 1600, gunwerks g7, and sig 2400

"In my day we walked up hill in the snow. Both ways. And we liked it."

I don't think anyone is assuming consistent wind from shooting position to target.
I'm sure that's true but then what? Remove the wind calculation from a Kestrel and one is left with a decent ballistic calculator. Perhaps you have one and feel that your calculations make it worth it? I've seen folk punch in the stats and then get frustrated their shot didn't correspond. The Leica rangefinder binoculars are dandy but don't reach out to the range of the laser rangefinders.

in my view, shooting isn't about increasing accuracy but reducing elements that lead to inaccuracy. Technology often gets in the way.

Would like some opinions on late model rangefinders you have experience with. What were your likes and dislikes. I currently have a Leica 1600-B that has been great but I know many improvements have been made in the areas of speed, beam size, distance, etc. I'm getting ready to retire (again) and want to start shooting some PRS matches with some already retired hunting buddies so I will be using the rangefinder for both hunting and competition. I was too cheap to buy a Kestrel so I use Geoballistics Ballisticsarc with the Weatherflow Weather Meter and accordingly don't really have a need for one that links with a Kestrel. That is unless someone can convince me that the Kestrel is much better.

Would also like to keep the cost to 1K or less if possible so that leaves out rangefinding binoculars.....Except the Vortex Fury with my military discount. Anyone who has used the Fury please let me know what you think about it. I've heard the Leica 3500 is an amazing rangefinder on its own but has bluetooth issues. Just too many darn choices out there. Thanks in advance for your advice.
I have a new sig 2400 abs if you are interested box was opened to inspect on arrival this is a second unit so it is not needed

You guys run nice equipment, but my day pack is already > 20# with gear.
I run an old Leica 1000. I keep coming back to it because of the simplicity and how visible the display is in low light. Have a Leupold that doesn't have a backlight, and although the features are better (shot angle, etc), cannot read the sucker in low light.

That's awesome! How did you put that setup together?
Sorry for not getting your question sooner, I just didn't see it.
I am a long time machinist, designer, fabricator and shooter. I enjoy making things that I either can't find or can't afford. Been doing that most of my life. My Desert Tech has been my main project for several years now. Originally I was going to build my own gun from scratch, I have a design that looks a lot like Desert Tech, but with subtle differences. I found the Desert Tech had most of the features I wanted so I bought one, and am very happy I did. The first thing I made was a coaxial bipod mount designed into the front of the handguard, actually did mine before Elite Iron came out with their "Revolution" bipod.
I made my first scope mount for the gun with a protective cage on it, but when I changed scopes I bought a Spuhr mount. I have chambered two Lilja barrels for it in 30-378 Wby and 223 WSSM and recently two Bartlien lefthand 5R gain twist barrels in 338 Lapua and 6.5 PRC. The Leica LRF mount was originally for my 1600, I started by modifying a PVS 14 NVD mount and adding to it, when they came out with the 3500 I upgraded to it, it is much better! Love it by the way! I also love having it on the gun where I can get quick, accurate ranges. Long story short, I am having a lot of fun with it. I have taken several Long range classes with it and it has done very well for me. If the world will get back to normal I plan on having more fun with it! Right now I'm looking for some Vihtavouri N570 powder to complete some load development for the last two barrels. Hopefully some will show up somewhere. At least I have enough of everything else. Hope I didn't bore you too much with all this, and hope you have fun shooting this year!

Sorry for not getting your question sooner, I just didn't see it.
I am a long time machinist, designer, fabricator and shooter. I enjoy making things that I either can't find or can't afford. Been doing that most of my life. My Desert Tech has been my main project for several years now. Originally I was going to build my own gun from scratch, I have a design that looks a lot like Desert Tech, but with subtle differences. I found the Desert Tech had most of the features I wanted so I bought one, and am very happy I did. The first thing I made was a coaxial bipod mount designed into the front of the handguard, actually did mine before Elite Iron came out with their "Revolution" bipod.
I made my first scope mount for the gun with a protective cage on it, but when I changed scopes I bought a Spuhr mount. I have chambered two Lilja barrels for it in 30-378 Wby and 223 WSSM and recently two Bartlien lefthand 5R gain twist barrels in 338 Lapua and 6.5 PRC. The Leica LRF mount was originally for my 1600, I started by modifying a PVS 14 NVD mount and adding to it, when they came out with the 3500 I upgraded to it, it is much better! Love it by the way! I also love having it on the gun where I can get quick, accurate ranges. Long story short, I am having a lot of fun with it. I have taken several Long range classes with it and it has done very well for me. If the world will get back to normal I plan on having more fun with it! Right now I'm looking for some Vihtavouri N570 powder to complete some load development for the last two barrels. Hopefully some will show up somewhere. At least I have enough of everything else. Hope I didn't bore you too much with all this, and hope you have fun shooting this year!
Thank you so much for getting back. That is awesome! If I ever find VV N570 I will let you know. Used to use it in my 28 Nosler with great results.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts