Looking to update my Leica crf 1600

mntnflyr4fun

I am retiring my Leica crf 1600 only due to the fact that it doesn't provide angle compensated range readings which I need. Not looking for ranging binos, just a handheld LRF.
I am not interested in any of the complex ballistic computations in most of the newer models, I want a clean simple to use rangefinder that will provide angle compensated range readings without worrying about temperature or barometer or any of the other stuff. My shooting is limited to under 1000yds, generally 800yds in reality, but I am hunting in rugged vertical terrain where a 500+yd shot with a 50degree angle is pretty routine. I recently bought a new scope with MOA reticle and turrets and if I know the "shoot to range" thats' all I need but it seems all the new rangefinders coming out that will reach out to 1600+yds (I need the added range to punch through weather etc.) or more have succumbed to the marketing of every ballistic bell and whistle out there.
I want to range the animal, see the shoot to range without temp/pressure etc. input, no ballistic calcs etc. and look at my range card for my aim point.
Seems like I am too late as all the new stuff is being built for 2 mile shooting off the bench, not 600yds. over a rock...
Does anyone have experience with a rangefinder that would fit my needs? Doesn't have to be a new model, just needs to work. I like Leica very much, Leupold also, not a big fan of Vortex, maybe try a Sig. Generally open to ideas.
Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to contribute to my search.

Last edited:
Upgraded my Leica 1600 to a 2400 this year for the same reason. Everything I loved about my 1600 with added range and angle comp...easy choice

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.