Looking to send gun off to get sighted in.

WEATHERBY460

Is there any gunsmiths that I can send my gun off to have them build a load for it and sight it in for 1000 yards and make a drop chart for it?

You do realize that just because it's "sighted in" elevation wise, for 1000 yards doesn't mean you won't still have to learn how to shoot that far, and judge windage, right?

There's no such thing as a perfect solution when long range shooting.

Another bad idea presents it's self.

Having a zero and drops set and developed remotely seems doomed for failure.

I provide frequently this service for local friends. After the rifle is bedded, tuned and loads for their purpose are developed zero set they are personally involved in drop chart development.

One thing I have noticed is that initially my zero differs slightly from their zero. Then sometime during the extended range shooting zero needs reverified. Guess what? After some trigger time their zero more closely approaches my zero. Hence I suspect it may be an unreasonable expectation to send'r off and expect to be promptly competent at varying extended ranges.

Just my tho'ts…..

I'm with Roy and others on this. IMHO Not really going to work as expected.

We've had guys how up to the range this way and they always leave upset that it didn't work "right".

You need to be involved. Find a local shooter to work with.

AIUI, the 338 LM is not that hard to load for.

Weatherby, The crew at Gunwerks (makers of the G7 ballistic rangefinder for sale here) used to offer load and turret calibration as part of an optics package, maybe they can take care of your initial setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.