Looking to see if there would be any interest in a book from ALLEN PRECISION...

While all these ideas are great and they may lead to other projects, I want this project to be simply a documentary style book talking in depth about the development of the APS Wildcat chamberings.

The road to the shop has 3-4 feet of snow on it currently from our 12" of snow on the ground and 40 MPH winds so today is a home day to catch up on paper work. I did some organizing and rounded up all members of the Allen Precision Shooting wildcat family. Many have asked for a complete line up, here it is.

P1050079.jpg

Left to Right: 510 Allen Magnum, 458 Allen Magnum, 50 Allen Tactical(long range match), 50 Allen Tactical(short range dangerous game), 458 Allen Tactical, 410 Allen Magnum, 375 Allen Magnum, 338 Allen Magnum, 410 Allen Xpress, 375 Allen Xpress, 338 Allen Xpress, 300 Allen Xpress, 7mm Allen Magnum, 277 Allen Magnum, 338 Ultra Maxx, 270 Allen Magnum, 6.5mm Allen Magnum, 257 Allen Magnum, 270 Allen Xpress, 6.5mm Allen Xpress, 257 Allen Xpress, 6mm Allen Magnum, 224 Allen Magnum.

23 in all. Now the 50 Allen Tactical is listed two times simply because the two rounds are so dramatically different when loaded for different purposes. In the long range match role, its loaded with a high BC 50 BMG match bullet loaded to the 2400-2500 fps range with bullets in the 750 gr range. In the Dangerous Game hunting role, its loaded with stopping bullets designed for close range big game hunting such as the barnes TSX bullets.

The 458 Allen Tactical will have the same two role design but I have just started working with the long range match project but will see what she will do with say a 500 gr TSX bullet here in the next year for those that want a 458-505 Gibbs improved design. Both of these chamberings when used for the big game hunting role are loaded to lighter chamber pressures simply because of the smaller receivers designed for this use. With the correct rifle design you can use high pressures but rifles get much heavier.

Basically what I want to do is take each chambering, in the order they were designed, developed, tested and released for order or mothballed and talk about them from start to finish, successes, failures and all. Including pictures for each, then move onto the next chambering.

For instance, the 257, 6.5mm and 270 AM would be first up as they were the first to be designed, then the 7mm AM and so on and so on.

How does this sound?

Now there is a line up that would look great in lucite like the Weatherby Cartridges or in a wood frame under glass like those sold at Cabelas.

Your timeline idea sounds great. Would the book include a foreword or introduction that would tell the story of how, where, why you came up with building such a class of cartridges? Please don't sugarcoat either, I'd be just as interested in hearing about the failures as much as the successes with each cartridge.

Last edited:
THat would be pretty neat and I have had alot of guys ask for a set done like this but just have never looked into the contacts to do it.

I have been sitting here letting thoughts ramble about my head since I can not go work at the shop which is a pain in the rear. Anyway, For each chambering the idea section will explain why I thought about each round, what other rounds I wanted to directly compeat against and in all honesty, blow out of the water ballistically and goals for each wildcat before the design process even started.

As always with my research, the failures will be in full view, I have never hidden anything that did not work because feel that is one of the best ways to learn and to hide such would just take away from the REAL progression of something new and pushing the envelope. Anyone that does something like this will have failures, if they do not admit it, either they have not done it long enough or are to ego bound to admit that it happens.

Hi Kirby

Put me down for a copy.

Would it be possible to include a life size line drawing including case dimensions for each cartridge ?.

Greg

Kirby,

I'd add myself to the list of those interested in a cartridge block or display. I had another idea that I wanted to run by you that I'll do off the boards.

Kirby,

Are you having gmail problems again? I tried sending you an E-mail earlier this week and haven't heard back yet, or are you swamped and haven't got a chance to answer yet?

Last edited:
Count me in. Book and Cartridge display would be awesome, maybe even sell it as a combo.

Myself and 4 friends would take one too. To much info to share with just 1 book. We want our own book.:D

Kirby,
As a 25 fan what is the 257 allen mag and the 257 allan express. parent case, etc. along with the 6mm mag. Book would be neat if it doesent take away from turn around time on rifles.

I would be interested in a book.

I totally agree with your business decision about no web site. I am all for you getting your turn-around times back under 1 year. I hope you can do that this year especially.... That way I can have mine done before hunting sesaon this year :)

Joel

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts