Looking to re barrel a Mauser 98?

One thing to keep in mind is that with the latest bullets (such as the Hornady 208 AMAX and Berger 215 Hybrid) and newer powders like RL-17, the humble 30-06 is capable of greater performance than many realize. Go with the AI if it floats your boat, but I don't think it will do much for you in real world terms.

If you are wanting a hunting rifle just have it drilled and tapped for a scope,bend the bolt, have a new barrel put on and get a new stock if you want. Bedding the stock is a good optin but that should be a great 30-06. It might keep sub MOA some of the mausers were built to very close tolerances. That would keep your cost down quite a bit.

There is a very experienced gunsmith who frequents LRH (username: shortgrass) who will tell you not to have the bolt face or locking lugs squared because of the risk of compromising the case hardening. I have done those things successfully myself with a very light touch. OTOH, I had a different gunsmith do those things on two of my rifles and I am now replacing the bolt bodies.

A 98 mauser build is pretty straightforward. Put on a good barrel, a good trigger, and bed the action in a good stock and you will end up with an accurate, reliable rifle. Your parts choices and ideas of what you want will produce a very nice hunting rifle. Where your barrel is concerned, make sure to order it unchambered and unthreaded to allow your gunsmith maximum control over how the barrel is fitted to the action.

I have several rifles built on Mauser actions and they are my sentimental favorites. 30-06 is an excellent choice. Another one that may interest you is 338-06. I am having a 338-06AI built on a mauser action. I can't wait to take her for a test drive!

There is a very experienced gunsmith who frequents LRH (username: shortgrass) who will tell you not to have the bolt face or locking lugs squared because of the risk of compromising the case hardening. I have done those things successfully myself with a very light touch. OTOH, I had a different gunsmith do those things on two of my rifles and I am now replacing the bolt bodies.

A 98 mauser build is pretty straightforward. Put on a good barrel, a good trigger, and bed the action in a good stock and you will end up with an accurate, reliable rifle. Your parts choices and ideas of what you want will produce a very nice hunting rifle. Where your barrel is concerned, make sure to order it unchambered and unthreaded to allow your gunsmith maximum control over how the barrel is fitted to the action.

I have several rifles built on Mauser actions and they are my sentimental favorites. 30-06 is an excellent choice. Another one that may interest you is 338-06. I am having a 338-06AI built on a mauser action. I can't wait to take her for a test drive!

That project got sidetracked for quite awhile. It has recently been revived, however. Should have something to report in 2 or 3 months. I plan to test it alongside my 338 Sherman to see how the two compare.

Are you paying a gunsmith to rebarrel it? Just asking because shilen makes short chambered barrels for mausers. I have been wondering if it is as easy as Larry Potterfield makes it look on his videos to finish a short chambered barrel..

Yes. The barrel is, in fact, a short chambered Shilen. I stopped buying short chambered barrels after my first few projects. The chamber isn't the issue. It's not too difficult to finish the short chamber with the right tools and a little patience. Precise match of threads is the issue.

Bottom line is this: If you want a DIY project, go with something modular (like a Savage or an AR). Rifles of classic design really need a good machinist to be done right.