Looking to purchase a VG condition Mark V 30-378

E73bass

-My big question is when did Weatherby switch to B&C for their synthetic stocks? The shop has 2 of these rifles. One has the more webbed black stock that is of the current ACCUMARK LINE and the other has a more "subtle" webbed black stock. Definately different LOP b/w them. I think the subtle webbed stock fits me better and has just a tad bit longer LOP.

Is there a way of differentiating if the better fitting one is the Pre-BC stock era?

I have a Deluxe Mark V 300 wby and the reason I chose it over a Rem 700BDL was that it fit me better and the cheekpiece on the MC stock lined up perfect fro my line of sight as compared to the raised comb on the BDL. I n addition; I just shot the 300wby better.

The difference b/w these 2 Mark V--30-378 is the same the subtle webbed stock version fits me better...just wonder if its a PRE-B&C stock....Possibly a McMillan or H&S ? Thanks ahead for the reply's.

I'm just gonna say this... I used to think the Accumark was the best rifle ever made. Used to think of Weatherby as the pinnacle of rifles. After buying my Accumark, I was wrong. They don't even use cut-rifled Krieger barrels anymore...Back in the late 90's early 2000's they switched to cheaper button-rifled Criterion blanks, and jacked the price up more. They're not very accurate, when they only offer you a 1.5" 3-shot guarantee at 100 yards. Your definition of accuracy, and my definition might not be the same...But a $2,100 rifle that only is guaranteed 1.5" at 100 yards is bullcrap. For that much money, it should be guaranteed sub-MOA, and shooting 1/2" groupd with handloads.

If you are positive you want it, I would ask the shop owner if you could shoot it first, to make sure the barrel is fine. The barrel on my Accumark was junk from the factory because of how deep they flute the #3 barrel, and the walls started caving in causing tight-spots in the bore after a couple hundred rounds. The regular MK-V rifles are not fluted, so they shouldn't have the same problem. Not trying to deter you, just making sure you are aware of all the things that could be wrong with it.

At the very least, I'd ask to run a jag and wet patch down the bore to make sure there's no tight-spots in it.

I was shooting a buddies Accumark in 300roy today... While not nearly as bad as Muddie's experience, I will say that is was one of the toughest rifles to get shooting decently that I've worked with. It's got a decent bore and chamber, but it was a total shotgun with factory ammo, and any bullet lighter than 200 grains in handloads produces patterns rather than groups.

I re-sighted another friends mk5 in 270win a year ago after shimming it so the scope would level and she was an easy .5 to .75 moa rifle with handloads for another 270...

My buddy just received a Mark V Accumark in 338 Lapua. He ponied up the extra $300 to get one of their "Range Certified" models.
The rifle came with a digital target showing a .5 moa target at 100 yds. They listed the factory ammo which was used to shoot the group. FWIW Ed Weatherby's signature was on the certification sheet.
We are still loaded with snow, ice and cold here so the rifle won't get test fired for awhile.

My buddy just received a Mark V Accumark in 338 Lapua. He ponied up the extra $300 to get one of their "Range Certified" models.
The rifle came with a digital target showing a .5 moa target at 100 yds. They listed the factory ammo which was used to shoot the group. FWIW Ed Weatherby's signature was on the certification sheet.
We are still loaded with snow, ice and cold here so the rifle won't get test fired for awhile.
They didn't offer that option back when I bought mine new in 2008... Would have been nice. Pretty sad they charge $300 for a RC rifle, when you can buy a Vanguard Sub-MOA for less than $700... So if you think about it, all you're really paying for is a name, a fancy stainless barrel with flutes, a less-than $300 B&C stock, and a $1,700 higher pricetag. :cool:

The vanguard is not the robust action the mark 5 is.My 340 served me well on 100+ animals.It was not a accumark it is still in action 25 years later ,my son uses it .My brother in law had a very accurate 340 accumark he had to sell I would have bought but im not lefty.I also have many fine shooting vanguards,which are basically howa 1500 actions.

Yes, I'm well aware they're different actions. I was simply stating that the only differences are the stocks and the actions, other than that, one costs $1,700 more than the other, yet the cheaper one has a sub-MOA guarantee, and the other one has to pay $300 more to get a RC guarantee... Pretty sad if you ask me. I would have figured the higher in price your rifle models go, the more attention to detail you get, not less attention, unless you're willing to pay $300 more than a regular Accumark, just to get a sub-MOA guarantee.

The stocks that pre-dated the bell and carlson were Hs Precision. On the ones ive owned and seen they say HS Precision on the recoil pad. All the HS stocked weatherbys I've seen have had that muted classic hs webbing . I'd bet that's what you're looking at. Check the recoil pad and if that doesn't tell you then get the serial number and call weatherby. They can tell you.

The stocks that pre-dated the bell and carlson were Hs Precision. On the ones ive owned and seen they say HS Precision on the recoil pad. All the HS stocked weatherbys I've seen have had that muted classic hs webbing . I'd bet that's what you're looking at. Check the recoil pad and if that doesn't tell you then get the serial number and call weatherby. They can tell you.

Yea...that is what I thought I would do...I did figure out from the Weatherby Forum site that based on the Serial Number, it was made b/w 2002 and 2004. Also I am somewhat curious...it just says Mark V on it....it does not use the designation Accumark anywhere. Do the current models says ACCUMARK on them?

E, I ordered my 30/378 in June of 2002. It is not an Accumark, but does have an HS Precision stock. I have a 2010 .257 Wby which came with a B&C stock. There is a slight difference in the two in color and webbing. Having hunted with it for 12 straight years, the 30/378 HS stock has been repainted, but the stainless action/barrel still look fine. Had the .257 cerakoted after developing minor rust after a wet deer hunt. I shoot Broz's load for the 30/378 with excellent results. Good luck, think you'll like the 30/378.

E, I ordered my 30/378 in June of 2002. It is not an Accumark, but does have an HS Precision stock. I have a 2010 .257 Wby which came with a B&C stock. There is a slight difference in the two in color and webbing. Having hunted with it for 12 straight years, the 30/378 HS stock has been repainted, but the stainless action/barrel still look fine. Had the .257 cerakoted after developing minor rust after a wet deer hunt. I shoot Broz's load for the 30/378 with excellent results. Good luck, think you'll like the 30/378.

Not an accumark? What model is it?

Would like to see a pic of it if it is not too much trouble....my email is [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.