looking to get a new rifle

midmo

I am looking to get a new rifle and i am looking a r700 or a win 70. Never owned either of the two. The win 70 i found is a push feed. I am looking at .270 win or .30 06. Have sny input to help a fella out?

I would go with the Remington 700. It is an excellent rifle and if you ever decide to build off of it, there's no larger aftermarket for any other action. They are very smooth, accurate, and nice rifles. I own two, one in .270 and a Varmint model in .243, I also have a third one on order, a heavy barrel Long Range rifle chambered in .300 Winchester. I won't use any other rifle.

The Win. 70 has been around longer than I have and I'm very very old. The Rem. 700 doesn't have quite as much age on its reputation. Win. 70 has been fostered a couple of times and, to the best of my knowledge, is currently made in Portugal. That's not a criticism, just something you may not be aware of.
Either rifle, IMO, will serve you well and as an all 'round hunting rifle I don't believe you could find anything more versatile than the 30-06. It's been around longer than the Winchester. I'm a Remington fan (all of my rifles are Remingtons) so I would naturally lean in that direction but a rifle purchase is a very personal thing so I'll not try to sell you on the Remington. Have you checked out Savage?

Mid, you didn't state your requirements. What you would hunt with it, budget, recoil and distance the rifle needs to reach. Do you reload and there's also optics to choose? This info can help members pinpoint the best rifle to fit you. Good luck

Remington 700 or Browning A-Bolt II gets my vote. Also, like Fear said, the .30-06 is a great all-around cartridge. Also, the 7mm RemMag is an excellent all-around hunting cartridge, too. You can load it light for varmints or heavy for big game.

If you're wanting a lightweight hunting rifle, the 700 SPS or A-Bolt II Composite Stalker are both great choices. They were both offered in both calibers.

If you're wanting a heavier "bean field" type hunting rifle where you don't really pack it around and want a heavy barrel, the new Remington 700 Long Range looks to be an excellent option for the money. They are also offered in .30-06 and 7mm RemMag.

If your a tinkerer, go with Savage. You can switch barrels yourself and bolt heads if you want to switch bolt face diameters. Both cartridges are a good choice. I personally can find better bullets in my area for the 30-06, but if I had a .270 I would not feel handicapped.

I will probably get a r700 sps. I would like to get the bottom metal for a cdl and a stock from a cdl down the road. Still not sure which caliber to get. I will be hunting mostly white tail, hogs. I have an 06 that is a marlin. I am not opposed to getting another one that will be nicer. I reload for 06 and i have dies for .270 win.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.