Looking to buy Kestrel

OK... Another stupid question... How do y'all carry your Kestrels? Kestrel sells several different options and I'm sure resellers have many more options.

I'm not one of those guys that cares about Molle or any other of the military type accessories.

But pockets can quickly get filled up when we're out hunting with all the gadgets we feel we need to carry these days.

I'll be carrying both the Sig Kilo 3000BDX and the Kestrel when I expect to shoot further than 300yds so maybe a good case for them both? The Kestrel is so small and possibly fragile that I'm considering the 1015 Pelican case for storage but that might be cumbersome when I'm in the field and getting ready to shoot.

Ideas?
Do you carry binoculars? I carry my Kestrel in the elastic side pocket of my Sitka bino case.

Although I am definitely going to take these classes regardless, it looks like you have to have a Kestrel 5700 in hand to take the class. If that is so how does the 10% discount apply?

If you buy the sportsman, you can buy the firmware from kestrel to "upgrade it" to the elite. It's what I did with mine, since I was going to replace my 4500 with a 5700 anyway. It cost like $150 or something if I remember right. Don't quote me on that. I have certain deals with kestrel, so I don't remember if that was actual price or what i paid.

But kestrel sent me a email with the software and I had to buy a dongle and I transferred the software over for the elite.

Lastly, I'd you use hornady ammo more than not 4dof would be good too. If not, the elite is definitely the right way to go as it's the only way to get custom drags on there.
I did this too. Bought the Sportsman from Cameraland. Thought the biggest difference was the number of rifles it would hold. Had plans to link it to a Lecia RF (2800.com) The sportsman will not link to it, you have to upgrade. If you want to link it to a RF you will have to upgrade. Having them linked, and the Kestrel on a tripod is really cool. Love it. I would either buy the Elite outright or get a Sportsman from Cameraland and upgrade it if you want to link to a LRF. Otherwise just the Sportsman is a good unit.

#42? Now I'm really confused... LOL
Comment #42. You can take the class without owning a kestrel. Just check the box for what you think you'll buy and follow along. You can participate as much or as little as you like. You'll learn a bunch. Just not as much as if you already had a device. You have nothing to lose but a little time and it will introduce you to their presentation style. The classes follow an outline but are relaxed and the instructors are very helpful. You'll get a PDF file afterwards with the outline and notes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts