Looking to buy Kestrel

So much fail here.

Applied Ballistics has at least three versions.

Sig BDX rangefinders have AB Lite, this has the 800 yard limit.

The Kestrel Sportsman that Cameraland is selling has standard Applied Ballistics which has no yardage limit but the solver has trouble with transonic flight so if you are shooting in to or past that range, the solutions aren't great.

The Kestrel Elite software has a solver that does better with transonic flight.

A Sig BDX rangefinder connected to a Kestrel in ABX mode will use the solver in the Kestrel so the 800 yard limit goes away in ABX mode.

If you are shooting past 800 yards but not so far that your bullets are going transonic, Elite does not improve the ballistic solutions much if at all.

If you are shooting long and have a Sportsman, you can upgrade to Elite firmware for $190.

Now here is where it gets complicated, pay attention:

$250+$190=$440

$440 is less than $700

The only difference is a sticker and the color of the plastic.

As long as it is available, the only thing that makes sense is buy a Sportsman from Cameraland and upgrade to Elite firmware if you feel you need to.

Buying an Elite is fine if you like flushing $260.

Buying a Sportsman and leaving it that way is also fine if you aren't going to take shots so long your bullet is going transonic. That's $450 cheaper than an Elite.

If you purchase the Applied Ballistics App does that get you the custom curves and same information as the Elite model?

I also sent an email to Camera land and apparently they no longer sell Kestrel's. So where can I get the best deal on a Kestrel 5700 or 5700 elite?

thanks,

mike

If you take one of their online tutorial classes or know someone who has, they will give you a 10% off code. Also, if you are a first responder or law enforcement, you can make the purchase through IDme.com and receive 10% off.

If you purchase the Applied Ballistics App does that get you the custom curves and same information as the Elite model?

I also sent an email to Camera land and apparently they no longer sell Kestrel's. So where can I get the best deal on a Kestrel 5700 or 5700 elite?

thanks,

mike
I believe the app doesn't correlate to the kestrel. It's all on the kestrel itself. I figured they wouldn't be selling them any longer as they were coming out the sportsman. I haven't looked in a while at the best prices as I jumped on that sportsman deal since I didnt think they would ever be that cheap again. Probably look for some place that has the sportsman in stock that will run a 10% discount or something. Brownells does like 10% off of 150+ i think ever so often. Not sure if it will apply to kestrel.

Also keep and eye out on the forums. Sometimes guys will sell them but they're gonna be not much less than new.

thanks,

mike
Amazon, ebay, Midway Nachez shooters supply

If you take one of their online tutorial classes or know someone who has, they will give you a 10% off code. Also, if you are a first responder or law enforcement, you can make the purchase through IDme.com and receive 10% off.
I can't seem to find where Kestrel is offering online tutorial classes. What am I missing?

OK... Another stupid question... How do y'all carry your Kestrels? Kestrel sells several different options and I'm sure resellers have many more options.

I'm not one of those guys that cares about Molle or any other of the military type accessories.

But pockets can quickly get filled up when we're out hunting with all the gadgets we feel we need to carry these days.

I'll be carrying both the Sig Kilo 3000BDX and the Kestrel when I expect to shoot further than 300yds so maybe a good case for them both? The Kestrel is so small and possibly fragile that I'm considering the 1015 Pelican case for storage but that might be cumbersome when I'm in the field and getting ready to shoot.

Ideas?

I want to thank C.O. Shooter and Mike300wby for the links. I am missing one thing though. How are these classes actually offered? Zoom? Conference call? Facetime? Other?

Oh.... And one more thing. Although I am definitely going to take these classes regardless, it looks like you have to have a Kestrel 5700 in hand to take the class. If that is so how does the 10% discount apply?

OK... Another stupid question... How do y'all carry your Kestrels? Kestrel sells several different options and I'm sure resellers have many more options.

I'm not one of those guys that cares about Molle or any other of the military type accessories.

But pockets can quickly get filled up when we're out hunting with all the gadgets we feel we need to carry these days.

I'll be carrying both the Sig Kilo 3000BDX and the Kestrel when I expect to shoot further than 300yds so maybe a good case for them both? The Kestrel is so small and possibly fragile that I'm considering the 1015 Pelican case for storage but that might be cumbersome when I'm in the field and getting ready to shoot.

Ideas?
Kestrel is anything but fragile

I want to thank C.O. Shooter and Mike300wby for the links. I am missing one thing though. How are these classes actually offered? Zoom? Conference call? Facetime? Other?

Oh.... And one more thing. Although I am definitely going to take these classes regardless, it looks like you have to have a Kestrel 5700 in hand to take the class. If that is so how does the 10% discount apply?
You can take the class amd just follow along. It won't mean as much to you but you'll gain some knowledge. They'll send you a link and you just log on at the class time. Come and go as you please. I don't remember what platform they used but it's a typical "webinar".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.