Looking to buy a spotting scope.

B-za84

Hello i'm looking to buy a lightweight spotting scope. I been looking at the vortex razor HD 11-33x50. What are everyone's thoughts on this scope? Or what do you recommend?

Advanced search is your friend. This scope and other lightweight spotters have been covered extensively on here. Its a dang clear and quality glass for saving weight.

Hello i'm looking to buy a lightweight spotting scope. I been looking at the vortex razor HD 11-33x50. What are everyone's thoughts on this scope? Or what do you recommend?
If you're dead set on small and light and plan to keep it and using it a lot, I would fork out the cash for the KOWA 553/554.

I've owned both of those spotters and the KOWA is far superior to that razor.

Perhaps something like the Leica Televid 77, 77mm Angled, Waterproof Spotting Scope. or the Leica APO-Televid HD 82 Spotting Scope if you're feeling a little wild. Cheers

Back when I was wanting a spotting scope, I looked at models from Swaro, Razor (Vortex), Nikon high end, Leupold, Kowa and Pentax.
At the high end, in the store or in the parking lot of the store, it was hard for my eye to discern the optical difference between any of the brands.
I bought a Pentax because it was amazing clarity at 40% the cost of a Kowa I looked at, and 1/6th the cost of a Swarovski.
Were I to do it with a bigger budget, I'd get a Kowa.
To me, the real test was "can I see .223 holes at 300 on black paper." In that, the Pentax shined.

Any of the Athlons,with my partners lowly Athlon argos spotter,I can see the 22lr hits on a 14" steel plate at 400 meters better than my kowa 602.The Ares is amazing glass,it rivals spotters at twice the price.

Perhaps something like the Leica Televid 77, 77mm Angled, Waterproof Spotting Scope. or the Leica APO-Televid HD 82 Spotting Scope if you're feeling a little wild. Cheers
How is that small and lightweight?

I might as well suggest checking out the Swaro 95mm w. BTX. I will attest to how absolutely amazing they are however. But not small or lightweight at all, unless you are comparing them to the truck you haul them around in.

But, if you want small and light, Kowa 553 or 554 is what you want.

How is that small and lightweight?

I might as well suggest checking out the Swaro 95mm w. BTX. I will attest to how absolutely amazing they are however. But not small or lightweight at all, unless you are comparing them to the truck you haul them around in.

But, if you want small and light, Kowa 553 or 554 is what you want.
Agree, they aren't "all" that small, and in many cases, small is hard to describe, I would say his ref wasn't that small... but, for me, its power and clarity which is hard to beat in Leica, and some folks like me are willing to take a little extra weight in glass for that, with no or small tripod, otherwise small to me is something like Leupold GR 10-20x40mm Compact Spotting Scope. Just my 0.2 Cheers