Looking to build new LR hunting rifle, 7mm mag verse 300 win mag?

elkhntr

I plan on having a new long range hunting rifle built on a Stiller predator action. Barrel maker undecided at this time, Lija, Kreiger,Brux, all very good, probably a flip of the coin. I have two questions. First, what are the differences between the 7mm rem. mag and this new 7mm LRM? I assume the 7LRM is a new wildcat? Second question will generate lots of opinions. 7mm mag. verse 300 win mag at 800 to 1000 yards? It seems that most of the long range custom gun builders today,ie gunwerks, Greybull precision, etc really promote the 7mm over 300. Is there really any big difference today or just the usual personel preference?

7mmRM and 7mm LRM are 2 different animals. I would compare the 7mm-300WM to the 7mm LRM as a closer comparison.

As for comparing the 7mmRM to the .300WM......Well......That's too close to call. The 7mmRM uses a lighter, smaller, faster bullet. The .300WM uses a slower & heavier bullet. Both have excellent BC's when you get into the Berger offerings in the heavy-for-caliber area (180-195 for the 7mm, and 210-230 for the .30).

I own both calibers you ask about (several 7mm's :D ), and have been a 7mm enthusiast since my first bolt-action deer rifle (7mm-08) when I was a kid. Still got that old rifle.

I say it's a toss-up between 7mmRM and .300WM. Those 2 particular calibers are about as close as you can get ballistically, and I don't feel either one of them deserves the title, as neither is the clear winner, or loser. It all boils down to personal preference...Do you want a 7mm? Or do you want a .30 caliber?

I don't know anything about the LRM, I can't comment there.

Rem Mag vs Win Mag has been beaten to death on here, over & over & over again. Run the search & see what you come up with, mostly fan boys of both gettting into a Co*k measuring contest.

Ballistic performance is pretty close on paper, both will do the job reliably in the range you brought up.

Personal preference is king in the parameters you provided. As my preference, it'll be .300 all day every day & twice on Sunday. Higher cross sectional area of the projectile, higher sectional density, more bullet weight, higher BC offerings & more powder capacity to push it. The 7mm will probably kick less though....

While the .674 G1 BC of the 7mm 180 grain Berger Hybrid is nothing to sneer at, the .696 & .719 G1 BC of the 215 & 230grn .30 cal Bergers wins.

In all honesty, they will both kill anything short of mastadons pretty easily in the 800-1000 yrd range you provided. Run whichever you want.

t

I have shot my trusty 7RM since I was 11. When I think I want a new caliber I lean on the direction of the 300WM. But I never get one because my current gun will do everything I want to do and the money invested won't reap the benifits to justify the expense. But if I did not have the 7mm, I would go 300WM. Clear as mud? Lol

I plan on having a new long range hunting rifle built on a Stiller predator action. Barrel maker undecided at this time, Lija, Kreiger,Brux, all very good, probably a flip of the coin. I have two questions. First, what are the differences between the 7mm rem. mag and this new 7mm LRM? I assume the 7LRM is a new wildcat? Second question will generate lots of opinions. 7mm mag. verse 300 win mag at 800 to 1000 yards? It seems that most of the long range custom gun builders today,ie gunwerks, Greybull precision, etc really promote the 7mm over 300. Is there really any big difference today or just the usual personel preference?
Back in the 1970s when I bought my first 7RM, Remington did not offer the 300WM in a left-hand rifle. When my sons were old enough, I bought one of them a 300WM because he grew up hearing how much I had always wanted one. At the ranges you are talking about, I hope you are well versed in long-range shooting or you are shooting at targets. Though I believe, but have never shot anything at 800 or more yards, Things would probably work out for a live animal and it would probably become a dead animal, from experience with both weapons at around 200 yards, it would take a skilled machinist and a micrometer to tell the difference in tissue damage and bloodshot meat.

Thats a discussion that's been going on since 1963 😂. They both have their advantages / drawbacks I prefer the 7mm. Less recoil, flat shooting, high BC / SD bullets available. 300 WM is gonna recoil harder, but it'll hit with more energy at the close to mid range targets. At the Further distances is where the 7mm will start making up ground in the energy department due to the higher BC bullets and it's ability to retain its velocity better. Thats obviously gonna depend on how heavy you go with your 30cal bullet.

problem with both in regards to the heavy bullets is taking up usable case capacity seating the bullets deep enough in the case so your can fit them In your magazine and not have to single feed em.

flip a coin man. you wont go wrong with either one.

Last edited: