looking to build a a new better handling rifle

rotorhead

Hello folks, I havent posted in a good long while. I havent been shooting or hunting in at least a decade. Work and life has just gotten in the way. Well I decided, that's enough! I havent been keeping up with the world of firearms and WOW much has changed. many years ago I built a 6.5-06, its a tack driver for sure. Its a semi-custom built on a tikka 695 action with a bartlien 1:8.5 5r heavy sporter and a laminate stock. It is a bit heavy but I dont really mind as long as i'm not climbing mountians too much, so it needs a buddy. a little lighter more focused around more mountainous hunting. I have been through the warbirds, RUMs and lapua some years ago but I'm looking not to absorb all that recoil these days. These I call super mags. I have two doner rifles one is a tikka 695 338 win mag and the other is a TRG-s 270. So, 473 532 bases. I'm torchering myself trying to decide what I want to do. I am leaning to the 280AI ( commercial round, ha who would have thought that) or an alternate standard mag. I'm thinking a 28 of some kind. So looking at the 7 WSM this could work in a longer action but then got to looking at the 300 wsm then necking it down to a 28 would give me a little longer neck plus the longer action would allow me to seat out and take advantage of the longer bullet selections. not sure of the brass considerations as I have never fooled with any of the short fats. All this being said, the sako or the tikka. I feel the sako is a better action but I have never had a problem with the 695's. I do not need or want a super light feathery rifle but 8#ish is fine.
One other thing, my old gunsmith has retired and I need some suggestions on a really good one. I live in texas but I'm not against sending it somewhere.

Thank you for your time folks.

Welcome back! 🤓

I don't have much to offer, I've only got one custom and it was built 6 years ago R700, Proof 1:8.25, 7RM, Stocky CF stock. With VX6, 6-24, I'm at just over 8.5 lbs. I love it, by the time it's loaded up with stock bag and all ammo I'm at 9 lbs and it shoots great. I decided to go short barrel at 22" and I'm glad I did now that I've got a can (which adds a lot of weight but at the moment I'm happy with it).

Before that I had a custom that finished out in the 10 lbs range plus ammo. It had a Bartlein center-cut and it was just silly accurate. I do miss those groups, but I do NOT miss carrying it in the mountains.

I'm happy with my 7RM selection too…. But I've wanted a 280 AI this entire time (mostly out of curiosity). If I were to start the process all over again, the only thing I'd change is going to 280 AI and a lighter scope.

Hello folks, I havent posted in a good long while. I havent been shooting or hunting in at least a decade. Work and life has just gotten in the way. Well I decided, that's enough! I havent been keeping up with the world of firearms and WOW much has changed. many years ago I built a 6.5-06, its a tack driver for sure. Its a semi-custom built on a tikka 695 action with a bartlien 1:8.5 5r heavy sporter and a laminate stock. It is a bit heavy but I dont really mind as long as i'm not climbing mountians too much, so it needs a buddy. a little lighter more focused around more mountainous hunting. I have been through the warbirds, RUMs and lapua some years ago but I'm looking not to absorb all that recoil these days. These I call super mags. I have two doner rifles one is a tikka 695 338 win mag and the other is a TRG-s 270. So, 473 532 bases. I'm torchering myself trying to decide what I want to do. I am leaning to the 280AI ( commercial round, ha who would have thought that) or an alternate standard mag. I'm thinking a 28 of some kind. So looking at the 7 WSM this could work in a longer action but then got to looking at the 300 wsm then necking it down to a 28 would give me a little longer neck plus the longer action would allow me to seat out and take advantage of the longer bullet selections. not sure of the brass considerations as I have never fooled with any of the short fats. All this being said, the sako or the tikka. I feel the sako is a better action but I have never had a problem with the 695's. I do not need or want a super light feathery rifle but 8#ish is fine.
One other thing, my old gunsmith has retired and I need some suggestions on a really good one. I live in texas but I'm not against sending it somewhere.

Thank you for your time folks.
I know what you mean; here's the route I went with https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/, Kimber 84 Hunter in .30-06 rechambered in .30 Gibbs.

.30 Gibbs scoped 1 of .jpg

.30 GIBBS weight.jpg

As far as gunsmith, @Mike from Texas might have recommendations near you. Good luck with your project build.

Last edited:
Age does put things in perspective. I prefer to think it makes you wiser, but I'm biased and over 60. For a hunting rig, I think a there is a sweet spot between 7.5 and 9 lbs ready to hunt. This a fairly broad range of weight, but at this point my shoulders and back just tell me anything heavier is not going into the woods or mountains on a hunt.

You mentioned a commercial round, are you wanting to shoot factory ammo? With your 6.5-06 you must have the capability of loading your own. Ammo and component availability would be a major factor to consider if I were building/buying a rifle at the moment.
A 280AI would be cool and give you close to 7 RemMag performance, plus could make brass out of what you have already (the 6.5-06) in a pinch. For factory ammo I don't know, haven't looked for that cartridge.

280 AI is a good choice. Great performance with somewhat mild recoil. I just finished one up this winter. It's shooting the 140 AH just over 3300 FPS with H100V out of a 23" IBI 1-7.5" twist. It's not overly light but it's wearing a fairly heavy NF NX8.

Attachments

• D5279C51-B11F-4C27-91FB-4CB6E41DDB92.jpeg
    D5279C51-B11F-4C27-91FB-4CB6E41DDB92.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
  • 98A524C6-926B-4080-828C-DBF5BFE72007.jpeg
    98A524C6-926B-4080-828C-DBF5BFE72007.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
  • 1944E7D6-04B7-480A-A8D0-741AEFC72467.jpeg
    1944E7D6-04B7-480A-A8D0-741AEFC72467.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 189
You mentioned a commercial round, are you wanting to shoot factory ammo? With your 6.5-06 you must have the capability of loading your own. Ammo and component availability would be a major factor to consider if I were building/buying a rifle at the moment.
A 280AI would be cool and give you close to 7 RemMag performance, plus could make brass out of what you have already (the 6.5-06) in a pinch. For factory ammo I don't know, haven't looked for that cartridge.
Oh no, I was just suprise to see it was commercial. I reload, thats half the fun. My 6.5 I ues 270 brass for the parent, I like the long neck and it was built around the 142SMK , it likes long bullets. but shoots a 130AB real nice.

280 AI is a good choice. Great performance with somewhat mild recoil. I just finished one up this winter. It's shooting the 140 AH just over 3300 FPS with H100V out of a 23" IBI 1-7.5" twist. It's not overly light but it's wearing a fairly heavy NF NX8.
mark 37082 kind of hit it ok 7.5-9 is good, I'm not sure what and AH is? Have you done and work with say around 160ish?

What stock and receiver are those?

What stock and receiver are those?

The stock looks like an AG Composite stock, and the action is one of the many custom 700 footprint actions. I can't tell from the pictures exactly what action it is, but it's a solid foundation for any rifle build. If I were you I'd go handle as many commercial options of rifles available and take the features you like from each one.