Looking hard at a Weatherby Accumark

sakoluvr

I would love to have one in .257WM for long range stand hunting (whitetails). Curious why the vanguard sub-minute angle is a less expensive rifle, and why Weatherby does not guarantee the more expensive accumark to be sub MOA?

Krieger barrels are used in the Accumark and they are made in the USA, so I do understand the cost increase.

Any first hand experience with a current production Accumark in .257WM?

I have owned several accumarks and many .257's as well as some Vanguards. I feel the vangusrd is a great rifle especially for the price. But the Mark V action is a far stronger action than the Howa used in the vangusrd. A .257 accumark is a great stand rifle for deer out to 600 yards. If you bed the action and do a little trigger tuning , then work up a good hand load that .257 accumark will shoot 1/2 moa. If it doesn't it will be the first I have seen that will not.

Jeff

Broz, well you told me what I wanted to hear. Thanks. I have read that they shoot great out of the box, and others that said they had issues getting them to shoot no matter what they did. I think I am going to give it a try.

That will be a great rifle. Just remember that even though it will shoot well past 600 yards consistantly it is only a .25 cal. My best loads were with the 115 Berger VLD's and the 110 Accubonds. But if I was going to take a good sized deer at 600 or beyond I would be taking my 300 win with a 210 Berger.

Every accumark I have owned needed bedding in the front lug area. It is easy to do if you have some gun smith skills,or not that expensive to have professionally done. If I bought a new accumark today I would not even start load work up until it was bedded, free floated and trigget tuned. Then I feel confident it will impress me at the range.

Jeff

Thanks. Yeah, the BC isn't great on the bullet selection, but oh the speed and flat trajectory! Also agree 600 yards is a stretch for the 100ish grain bullets.

Correct: Criterion is owned by Krieger but it's not the same barrel. Kriegers are cut and Criterion are button rifled. Krieger barrels are cryogenically treated and Criteions are not.

Correct: Criterion is owned by Krieger but it's not the same barrel. Kriegers are cut and Criterion are button rifled. Krieger barrels are cryogenically treated and Criteions are not.

I know that Dan Weatherby would like to make the switch from Criterion to Krieger barrels, but who knows if that will come to happen.

I bought a lefty accumark in .257 Weatherby in 2004. Shoots 117 gr Sierra gamekings into 1/2" at 100 yards. Was never as accurate with 100 grain bullets.

I have a 257wby in Mark V and a 300wby in accumark. I do not know why the Vanguard guarantees a better group, I was wondering the same thing. Just remember no Vanguard comes with a 26" barrel, even the magnums. Accumark is an awesome rifle, I sold my Lilja custom rifle after I bought the accumark.

I had an accumark in .257 wby. I sold it because I wasnt happy with the accuracy for the money I paid. I tried every every load weatherby sells. I didnt try handloading or change the rifle in any way. I love the caliber. and took a pronghorn and some javalinas at around 350 yards but wasnt confident in it for very long ranges. I have remington rifles that shoots better for a lot less money. I also want to try the remington in .257 wby

I came across (today) a Rem 700 LSS in .257 that was in the box, and grabbed it. I should get it within the next 2 weeks. Got it at a great price.

These were limited edition rifles made when the CDL was introduced in the 257bee. It does not have a fluted barrel like the CDL, but I like the laminated stock better. Figure I can always sell the stock easier than the CDL stock, in case I want to do a drop in McMillan. Can always flute the barrel too, but first order of business will be to bed it.lightbulb

Congratulations on the caliber but sorry you settled for a Remington. The Accumark comes with premium components that your will pay dearly to get the Remington up to. Like a premium 26" barrel, aluminum chassis fiberglass stock, a one piece bolt and a super adjustable trigger capable of a 1 pound pull if you want. Don't discount the fully enclosed firing pin bolt shround for eye safety. That saves a roost to the eye if you ever pierce a primer or have any sort of case failure.

I have 3 Accumarks. 2-257's and a 300Wby. One of the 257's and the 300 are half MOA guns. My other 257 is a true 1/4MOA. It will literally hit a thumb tack 5 out of 5 times.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.