Looking for tikka build/ rebarrel advice

I believe all tikka actions are same length so all I need to do is change the bolt stop or modify it and replace the short action mag with a 30/06, 270 mag and everything should work well for short Med or long action cartridges with a standard bolt face. I'm starting to lean towards the 6.5x284. Now my next question is this... my 6.5 creed with rl 26 gets me 2950 in a 24" barrel, where would you guess the 6.5x284 would put me with a 23" barrel?

Exactly- all you have to do is swap the bolt stop and get a long action mag. Pretty simple conversion.

I have a 6.5 Sherman and while I enjoy the round, having a few extra steps to form brass initially can be a little annoying. Grabbing factory ammo off the shelf for my 6 Creed is much more convenient when I find myself lacking time to load. I'd go 6.5-284 over the 6.5-280 AI for that reason. Also, the tikka mags might limit your OAL on the 6.5-280 AI.

Got a ss tikka 308 sitting in the cabinet. It's by far my favorite deer rifle. I have custom and semi custom rifles but when deer season rolls around I always find myself grabbing my 308. I have a Bartlein 8 twist 24" featherweight blank just begging to be used. I'd like to get the most performance without the headache and still be accurate and easy to load for. I don't want to fireform so 260 ai and Sherman's are out ( no offense). What would you guys do? 6.5/06 or 6.5/06 ai, 6.5x284? Or something else. I can change the bolt stop and grab a long magazine. Just trying to plan it out. Best wishes.
I just finished my 6.5/06 with a 26" Lilja barrel I neck up 25/06 brass with fed 215 primer at 3000 fps and RL26 it's stupid accurate....3shots
CFF2E17D-C142-44CB-90B7-DE31A427C974.jpeg

You done answered your own question. 6.5 Creed doing 2950 with a 140 is a really great combo. Be lucky to gain 100 fps with the 6.5-284. I did a bunch of 6.5-06ai with 30 inch barrels and they shot 140s up to 3200 if pushed hard. Personally I would never do another because the Creed is just so easy. I do have a 6.5 saum now also and I probably should have just made it a Creed also. The Creed is just so easy and does everything I need from a 6.5. I do like the x55 sweede also but the Creed is better. I was a hater too. Said I would never have one till I tried one. Rl26 and the Creed love each other too. Mine does 2975 with 147eldms.
Shep

7 SAW. I'd also have WTO install a switch lug while they do the work.

I'm planning the same thing. I have a 6.5 CM I plan to have the barrel cut back, SL installed, and either a 280ai / 7 saw barrel included. I will depend on budget. 280ai will require after market bottom metal to load to 3.5" COAL

2950 with a CM is great. I was going to suggest also the 6.5-06 with 25-06 brass. Simple. I'm getting 3170 with 140 Bergers and RL26 but it is out of a 25" barrel.

I think the 6.5-280 ackley is a great choice now that peterson is offering 280ai brass its a simple neck down and its ready to shoot you can use 280 ai bushing dies just use the right bushing and change the seater stem to 6.5

My 22" 6.5CM will approach 2950fps with RL26. Not close with any other powders though. Shep is right about the 6.5CM and RL26. Not room to get enough powder in there with the lighter ones but magic with the heavies.

Got a ss tikka 308 sitting in the cabinet. It's by far my favorite deer rifle. I have custom and semi custom rifles but when deer season rolls around I always find myself grabbing my 308. I have a Bartlein 8 twist 24" featherweight blank just begging to be used. I'd like to get the most performance without the headache and still be accurate and easy to load for. I don't want to fireform so 260 ai and Sherman's are out ( no offense). What would you guys do? 6.5/06 or 6.5/06 ai, 6.5x284? Or something else. I can change the bolt stop and grab a long magazine. Just trying to plan it out. Best wishes.
6.5 X 55 Ackley Improved

So of the calibers mentioned the 6.5/280 ai would have the greatest capacity and should drive those 140s pretty well from a 23" barrel hopefully above 3000. Peterson brass is pretty good from what I've read? From my understanding it's just one step to neck down the brass and load up. I think we may be on to something here. Thanks for all the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.