Looking for thoughts on a pistol for hunting

3400 fps with a 125 gr bullet out of a 14" 309 JDJ??????? Unless this is a typo I think you need to have your chrno checked.

I have a XP-100 that I built years ago, It has three barrels, 6BR 14 twist, 6Dasher 8 Twist, and a 308 Wiin 10 Twist.

Been thinking about adding a 4th barrel, 25 Souper 9 twist (25/308). It would be fun.

I have sent many of guys home with their tails between their legs trying to out shoot it.

Long shot on a Deer is 325 yards in Montana and 346 yards on a prairie dog in Wyoming.

It is a hoot to shoot, have not killed anything with the Dasher Barrel yet, it has just punched paper and Silos.....

MONT-942.JPG PrarrieDog99.jpg 3147.jpg

3400 fps with a 125 gr bullet out of a 14" 309 JDJ??????? Unless this is a typo I think you need to have your chrno checked.

The unit repeated those numbers several times on different days and was verified by my shooting buddy. I was using 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with a near max load.

The unit repeated those numbers several times on different days and was verified by my shooting buddy. I was using 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with a near max load.

I have to call your bluff on this. Hitting 3400 fps with a 125gr bullet in a 15" Contender chambered for 309 JDJ isn't happening. You'd be pushing pretty hard to hit that velocity with a 125gr bullet in a 24" 30-06 rifle. I shot the 125 NBT in a 14" 300 WSM Striker and was pushing pretty hard to hit 3250 fps. That was with a larger case at pressures WAY beyond anything you could try in a Contender (or Encore for that matter).

Hitting 2800 fps with a 125gr bullet in 15" 309 JDJ Contender is very optimistic.

Been thinking about adding a 4th barrel, 25 Souper 9 twist (25/308). It would be fun.

That looks like it would be a really fun wildcat to play with........ I still would like to put a XP-100 together someday, but with it not being legal to hunt where I wanted to with it, it's definitely on the back burner.

Ckgworks, The 25 Souper is a proven round, been around for years.

There are stories about it being the original version that was presented to the military to replace the 06, but they wanted 30 cal, so the designer opened it up to create the 308. I've never been able to confirm that.

I built one for a buddy on a Featherweight Mod 70, it is a killing machine.

I've never understood why it never caught on.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.