looking for the right gun 2 build on!

beattie buk

I'm sure this is a tired subject. I'm from beattie, tx. and have hunted all of my life. Where i live doesn't require long range shooting but it is something that has always interested me. Recently a friend and I have decided we want to really get into this. He has started with a .308 and I havent decided yet what I want. I like the .308 because the recoil isnt too hard, but would like to be able to hunt big game too. If i were to load my own ammo, wat would be my most versitile long range rifle. I have heard a 300 mag could be loaded for varmint hunting. Is that true?? Excuse the dumb questions please! I have always used the same 2 or 3 guns and dont know much outside them.

My personal opinion,(and this is an opinion oriented question) would be a 300 of some sort. or maybe a 7mm, Im just not fond of the metric system haha.
I use a 270 wsm and a 300 wby for pretty much everything though I own alot more in bigger and smaller calibers. I hunt elk bear deer(muley's as Im from Oregon) all the way down to coyotes and sage ratts.
Loading a 300 down can be dangerous, so id opt for shooting fmj for coyotes but I dont keep the hydes either so I just use what I have worked up loads for in my rifle sighted in with for whatever I shoot.

Maybe something along a 300wsm.... works well with 180 gr and lighter bullets, not a whole lot of added recoil like a Weatherby etc. and ammo is available most everywhere. Very versitile. LIMB SAVER and a brake will reduce most of the reciol.

However if recoil is a big isseue you may want to look at a 6.5(264 in english) of some kind. Maybe 6.5/284 or 260 Rem.(a 6.5 on a 308 parent case) I dont know much about small bore stuff, but that 6.5(264 in english) is a long range tack driver with the right shooter and set up.

Not -MY- first choice for elk,compared to a 300 mag of any kind, but talk about POTENTIAL if you have the right set up and are good with it.

Then again I love my 270wsm on anything shy of Griz,(mostly cause I havent tried it on Griz I suppose)haha:D But I have bigger guns more suited for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.