Looking for the best bullet for my custom build 300 win

mulie nut

Looking for the best long range bullet for my rifle being built in a 300 win i want a hunting bullet not a target bullet and i do not want a bullet that seperates at impact and ruins meat so berger vlds are out and i will be shooting 180-200 grain

the rifle is a 300 win with a rem 700 action reworked of course a krieger 1,11 twist 26 inch barrel mcmillian a3 stock jewell triger and a custom shop leupold 4.5x14x50 lr with m3 turrets

Last edited:
I shoot the accu bonds in everything i own now probally wont change just wanting more opinions and thoughts thanks

Found a couple you might like. Depending how far your shooting, these maybe some options.

Hornady 180 SST=.480

Sierra 180 SGK SPBT=.501

Sierra 200 SGK SPBT=.560

Speer 180 SPBT=.540

These should all perform admirably to your specifications. The Sierra 200, SST or the aforementioned Nosler Accu-Bond would be my options.

Tank

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but Accubond. The 180 or 200 will do all you need it to. The accuracy is there, the BC is there, the construction is there. No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel.

+1 for accubond.

Might as well stay away from SST and ballistic tips cause they also have violent expansion similiar to VLD.

180 E-Tip

or

173 GS HV

These are the best options for terminal performance and not coming apart. The 1-11 twist may be a little slow for the long all copper bullets. Especially for under 500yrd shooting. The 160 GS HV will perform very well out to about 800yrds out of the 300 WM.

My .02

I shot a dall sheep with the 180 Nosler E-Tip last fall from my 300 Win Mag @ 400 yds and once at 70 yds. Nasty entrance wounds and holes in the hide. Looked like the ram had been slapped with a pancake at supersonic velocities. Shot a lot of game with 7mm and .308 accubonds and never had a comparable experience.

I'd have just as soon hit the ram with a Berger VLD, based on the damage observed from the E-tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts