Looking for the best bullet for my custom build 300 win

I ran the 180 E-tip two years ago and noticed the big entrance holes as well. It almost appeared like the entrance holes were made bigger from the inside out. I did not think much about it at the time but it was different.

Steve

That's how I would describe what I observed too. Left me scratching my head and wondering what Nosler might be packaging inside those little translucent plastic tips.

My entrance holes were bigger than I expect to see on off-side exit holes. I had two hits and entrance wounds on my animal, and they both blew big holes in the hide on the entrance side.

Looking for the best long range bullet for my rifle being built in a 300 win i want a hunting bullet not a target bullet and i do not want a bullet that seperates at impact and ruins meat so berger vlds are out and i will be shooting 180-200 grain

the rifle is a 300 win with a rem 700 action reworked of course a krieger 1,11 twist 26 inch barrel mcmillian a3 stock jewell triger and a custom shop leupold 4.5x14x50 lr with m3 turrets

Hi Mulie.....These bullet discussions ALWAYS result in the same outcome of varying opinions and a few spitting matches. Having said that, as a bullet maker myself, and as I've stated in the past, there are long range bullets and there are hunting bullets but there are no long range hunting bullets! (at least not the ranges that are discussed in this forum). That aside, there are lots of options that work very well if used under a narrow enough set of circumstances and conditions. The trick is to learn as much as you can about ballistics, first of all, and then try to educate yourself on various bullet construction methods and shapes. Some rules of thumb are: heavy jackets, bonded cores, partitions, mono construction etc. lend themselves to larger game at higher velocities and closer ranges. Thinner jackets (especially nose area) streamlined shapes (VLD's) high density core ratio to jacket, ballistic tips both for B.C. and to start expansion etc. lend themselves to longer ranges where terminal velocity may be quite low. The trick is to match as many of these things to the application for your hunt as possible. In my opinion, it is wise to have two loads available that will group near the same poa at closer ranges but are really tuned for your long range load because that's the one that is most critical. When I make my long range hunting bullets, I combine some of these things that won't hurt me at extreme ranges but help somewhat in case of a situation where a higher velocity impact may occur. Core bonding would be a good example! I test bullets all the time and believe me, you can learn a lot by doing this. One good test is to fire a bullet at the higher end of impact into a suitable media and the same brand into the same media with a reduced load with a known velocity and compare the results. This is not an exact test as the reduced load will have less rotational velocity upon impact as it would have if fired at higher muzzle velocity but impacted at the same velocity down range. The good news is rotational velocity HELPS expansion so your reduced load test would give you WORST case expansion. I don't mean to come across as a know it all because there is always a lot to learn but I hope this might be of some help. Regards! ..Rich:D

Hey rich thanks for the info do you sell bullets i noticed you are in idaho i am not to far from cda and hunt idaho every year and i probablly will be shooting one of the bullets that are for long range at yote i dont plan on shooting big game past 700 but you never no killed a mule deer last year at 645 with my stock winchester 300 win mag

Hey rich thanks for the info do you sell bullets i noticed you are in idaho i am not to far from cda and hunt idaho every year and i probablly will be shooting one of the bullets that are for long range at yote i dont plan on shooting big game past 700 but you never no killed a mule deer last year at 645 with my stock winchester 300 win mag

I don't sell them currently but I have had a lot of requests. So far I've made a few for friends and family but we'll see what happens down the road? Where do you live? I hunted Lewistown Mt. with my cousin last year and really enjoyed it......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.