Looking for some thoughts on....

steelhead55

A good 25-06 rifle. I know what a lot of you will be saying why get a 6.5..... Well when I think of my dad and how he taught me how to shoot the 25-06 was his favorite gun... I've always wanted one. I have a few magnums, hot rod .220 swift. So now it's time for a 25-06. Was looking at the Remington 700 long range but with all the issues I keep hearing about has got me wondering. I have a sub moa vangaurd in 300wsm love that gun so have thought about those as well. Any thoughts on these 2 any others?? Browning a bolt looks nice might be too nice for a fun shooting gun.
Thank you for the look.

I would build one if it were me. Do a 25-06AI with a barrel, action and stock of your choice. Mine shoots the 115 Berger at 3350 fps and is very accurate.

The Weatherby Vanguard that I bought was the only 24" barreled sporter weight that I could find.It is the early model designated "Synthetic". This rifle with 100gr bullets
shoots clover-leafs at 100yds and is sub-moa at 300yds. The only change that I have made in this rifle is changed the springs in the trigger. I would not hesitate to buy another Vanguard. Whatever you buy, I hope you enjoy your 25/06.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

I think wanting one is reason enough to get one. Since there are usually many cartridges that will do the job, most people choose what they want.

I have owned a 25-06 since about 1980 and I like it.

A good 25-06 rifle. I know what a lot of you will be saying why get a 6.5..... Well when I think of my dad and how he taught me how to shoot the 25-06 was his favorite gun... I've always wanted one. I have a few magnums, hot rod .220 swift. So now it's time for a 25-06. Was looking at the Remington 700 long range but with all the issues I keep hearing about has got me wondering. I have a sub moa vangaurd in 300wsm love that gun so have thought about those as well. Any thoughts on these 2 any others?? Browning a bolt looks nice might be too nice for a fun shooting gun.
Thank you for the look.

I wouldn't worry about all the negative internet hype and negative posts about Remington. Every manufacturer has lemons. Remington just seems to get more bad PR because they have been around the longest, and have sold way more guns over the years. Therefore, based on that, you are more likely to hear about a Remington lemon, than you are from any other manufacturer.

My suggestion would be the new Remington 700 Long Range in .25-06. It comes with a 26" sendero/varmint contour barrel with a 1:10 twist. Then open the chamber up to .25-06 AI.

Remington® Model 700™ Long-Range Bolt-Action Rifles : Cabela's

I love my .25-06 AI, it's a custom build I pieced together, and it shoots amazing.

I have history with the 25-06 as well. Quote me all the 6.5 magic numbers you want. My deer gun is still a 25-06. My current one is a Browning Xbolt. I've had a Remington 700 ADL, a Winchester 70 Featherweight, and a Ruger #1. With the exception of the Feather weight that I bought used and couldn't get to shoot well, they were all great guns.

My 25-06 has been money on deer and antelope. 110 g accubonds at just over 3100 fps sounds like theatric number because that's what mine likes too. Anywhere from 60-350 yards, 4 animals, less than 10 steps combined after the shot. Mine shoots 2.5 inch groups at 300 yards off a bipod all day.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.