Looking for some input and ideas for daughters first rifle.

Look into a KRG chassis. Put the arca rail on and get them shooting off of a tripod. My 10 and 8 year old shoot matches with this setup in 6 Creedmoor. My ten year old shot an Alaskan moose with a 308 win barrel and a whitetail with the 6 Creedmoor both standing off the tripod.

Thanks for all the input and experiences!
We already have her own .22lr. I have already decided on the stock, action, and have the barrels and bolts for
.223 Wilde
7-08

It's dang hard to find that perfect in between cartridge! Yes, I do reload so everything is an option. Lots of great suggestions and variations. Looking forward to narrowing it down and selecting whatever is the best balance.
I do plan to locate many of the mentioned calibers and try them out. I do have roughly 75% of the calibers suggested.

Hi All Borescope revealed a piece of bark small but sticky stuck located just as the freebore began. Figure it must have gotten stuck when unloading then reloading the next day wedged it. My barrel end tape had come off the previous day noticed it as we were moving through the cedars and re-taped it. I ran 4 patches thru the gun the night the first bullet stuck, it did not clear it from the freebore. If something like this occurs again I'm using a brush to clear stuff then patches. Surprised firing a round did not clear it we figured there maybe sap acting like glue. Checked everything chamber measurements, COL to the ogive it all checked out nothing changed.

This is what I got my stepson to get him started. Ruger American "Go Wild" in 7mm-08.
20191031_173624-1612x1209.jpg

He has never shot a rifle. His "sperm donor" has only seen him 3 times, and he turned 15 this year. So I've got a lot of teaching to catch up!

Hi All Borescope revealed a piece of bark small but sticky stuck located just as the freebore began. Figure it must have gotten stuck when unloading then reloading the next day wedged it. My barrel end tape had come off the previous day noticed it as we were moving through the cedars and re-taped it. I ran 4 patches thru the gun the night the first bullet stuck, it did not clear it from the freebore. If something like this occurs again I'm using a brush to clear stuff then patches. Surprised firing a round did not clear it we figured there maybe sap acting like glue. Checked everything chamber measurements, COL to the ogive it all checked out nothing changed.

That should help determine which caliber to pick for his daughter. Lol JK I think you ended up in the wrong thread

I've been bugging Savage and some larger distributors for an Axis compact in 6.8 SPC II for awhile now. Recoil and noise are a young person's worst enemies, and the 6.8 has little of both, while being very effective within certain parameters, especially with Barnes lightweight projectiles.

I like your thinking, I'm in a similar situation and doing similar things. I have a daughter that is 7 one that is 3 and a son that is 1.5 lol. Anyway I started my oldest hunting with me when she was 4. Last year at age six I got her a mentor doe tag and took her out shooting. I used a Remington 700 .223 in a chassis with the AR style but stock collapsed all the way and it fit her well. The recoil was no problem, but the weight of the rifle was way more than she could manage. I had to carry and set up the rifle in the prone position for her to get behind and shoot. I wanted her to be able to do more than pull the trigger so I started thinking the same thoughts you are having about recoil. In a small light rifle recoil can be shocking for a small young shooter. I started with a 22-250 and 55gr bullets. I cut the barrel down to 18" and the stock down to fit and added a cheek rest. The rifle is still too heavy but much more manageable. However the recoil is still stout for a kid. The first shot she immediately got up and started rubbing her shoulder. She is going to have to suffer with it this season, but next year I'm changing over to 6mmbr. I bought a used 243 barrel to save money on this experiment and am having the chamber removed and barrel recut to 6mm BR. The beauty of the BR is it uses a .308 bolt face. It is essentially the same case as a 6.5 Grendel but with a standard bolt face diameter. I love the idea of a Grendel bolt gun, but the odd bolt face is a problem unless you don't care about buying a $300 bolt from PTG and waiting forever to get it.

I'll spend whatever it takes to make sure she always has a good experience and enjoys shooting and hunting! A few dollars is well worth a lifetime of enjoyment to share and pass along the tradition.

One rifle, to do everything? Varmints. targets, deer and even black bear. How is this even a discussion? .243 baby. No brainer

One rifle, to do everything? Varmints. targets, deer and even black bear. How is this even a discussion? .243 baby. No brainer

Already have the .243 and also a 7-08 barrel for the rifle. Looking for something with less recoil until she's able to handle the 243. She's a tough little ranch kid, but want to make sure she has the best experience possible. Don't want to jump from 223 directly to 243.

Already have the .243 and also a 7-08 barrel for the rifle. Looking for something with less recoil until she's able to handle the 243. She's a tough little ranch kid, but want to make sure she has the best experience possible. Don't want to jump from 223 directly to 243.

250 Savage

a brilliant little cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.